XVI. SOS

VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED:
The chapter you are about to view discusses sexual assault to an extent that some may consider graphic. If, at any time, you begin to feel uncomfortable, I highly encourage you to stop reading and wait for the next chapter.

She'd been picking up Don's shifts at work for a while now. She let the lead in the Halloween choreo go to Ginger, even though she felt like she'd be a better Michael. After school, Cynthia was at the DeGrate residence. She walked with Don in the halls and she ate lunch with him. She was even suddenly accepting rides from Javon with the knowledge that he was in charge of driving Don around and when she had cheer, she'd hitch a ride from Antoine and Derek... because they almost always brought her back to the DeGrate's.

It'd gotten to the point where Dalvin looked her in the eye and he said, "You like my brother... you minds well just say it to me and get it over with. I think it's cute." Then, he pinched her cheeks.

And yet, Cynthia still denies. The clock ticks until the date happens to be the fifth of November. It's gotten colder over time, though Cynthia's florescent windbreaker still holds her down. Her nose is slightly tinted as she is forced to practice on the field. The line up is in a specific order: Ginger, Tasha, Autumn, Cynthia, Paulette, Regina, Marlene, Felicia. Syncopated steps and bodily movements fill the field as the cheerleaders prepare for tonight's game. It's a Friday and for some reason, Cynthia feels as though this is to be a day she should never forget. As she is practicing, her brain is telling her to prepare for life changing events.

"Lucy, it's cold!" Cynthia is immediately scolded by her idol. She quickly corrects herself in the way she addresses Lucille, her coach. It is the kind of slip up that only happens on very rare occasions. The weather must have reprogrammed Cynthia's brain, temporarily that is. "Coach, I'm cold!"

Lucille was seventeen when Cynthia was ten and from the day Cynthia had met her, she knew that Lucille was everything she ever wanted to become. As of today, she is pretty close. She dreams of being cheer captain by her Junior year before getting a scholarship to her dream school. This school would be the University of North Carolin, the campus in Chapel Hill, mostly because... well, that is where Lucille had gone. Lucille graduated early with a degree in dance. Instead of going off and auditioning to be a Dallas Cowgirl or a Laker Girl, like she could have, Lucille decided to stay and work at her old high school.

This is the kind of woman Cynthia wants to be.

Marlene shoves her glove covered hands into her pockets as Lucille walks closer to them on the field. "You shoulda' never said anything, Cyn." Marlene covers her reddened face with her palm.

As Lucille approaches Cynthia, the fifteen-year-old rolls her eyes at her friend. Cynthia would never say it, but, she's got a problem with Marlene, as of current. Every day, Cynthia goes and she picks up Don's shift at the mall. She does as much for him as she can, considering the fact that he is in an arm sling until Thanksgiving week. Yet, Don and Marlene hang out all of the time. Cynthia cannot seem to comprehend why. Well, she has her ideas, however, denial continuously crosses them as it blinds her. For this reason, she has a problem and that problem is not necessarily with Don... it is mostly with Marlene, one of her closest friends.

"You think we're ready for next week's Senior Night, Cynthia?" Lucille stands directly before Cynthia with one of the most intimidating faces she has the ability to muster. When Cynthia fails to answer in a timely fashion, Lucille adds on to her statement. "That was a question," she adds.

Cynthia folds her arms across her chest. "No, Coach."

Lucille quickly snaps, "That's what I thought." As she steps back, she orders the young ladies to get back in the order of their routine without even turning to face them. She climbs the bleachers to return to her original positioning as the girls stare at her back. "Quit looking at me and get in line!"