The Sun and The Moon

From their conception they have constantly been a great distance from each other, but they had always been able to communicate. Like most love stories they started out slow and shy. Stolen glances here and small smiles there. But as time progressed their interaction became bolder, conversations began go on and on, they were not constrained by time, they were simply left to get to know each other. As their conversations grew and their bond became unbreakable the Sun became desperate.

He wanted to no longer be separated from the Moon that he had grown to love. He thought to himself "It is only fair that I am with the one that has my heart" The Moon also wanted to be with the Sun but she knew the role that they had been chosen to play and she knew the repercussions they would face for going against the Universe. She begged him not to try to come to her. The Sun did not listen. He began to trek to his Moon but on his way he destroyed, his heat was too much for the debris he passed leaving destruction in his wake. The Moon called out to the Sun "You have to stop, you are destroying" The Sun did not care anymore he was now closer to the Moon than he had ever been before.

The Sun was so consumed by happiness and the need to be beside the Moon that he did not notice what his heat was doing to her. By the time the Sun reached the Moon she had been destroyed, left with craters all over her once smooth surface. The Sun called out to her in a plea for forgiveness. But there was no answer. He wept, realizing what he had done. A voice spoke out, it was the Universe speaking "Moon tried to warn you of what this would cost but you did not listen." The Universe wept for the loss of the Moon and as a punishment for the Suns actions and the love that had sprung between the two planets he sent their souls to a planet that had been created by the suns journey called Earth where the two would be forced to continue on the cycle that they had created. They would always find each other but they would never be able to have a love free of destruction.

Part 1

It was Maria's thirty- seventh day at Auswitzch and she had lost 17 pounds. Her beautiful face and dark features were sunken in. She shared a bunk with Annie; her younger sister, the only family member she had left. Their father was separated from them when they were forced out of their ghetto by the gestapo and their mother died just last week from starvation. She would give her food rations to Maria and Annie to keep them as strong as she could.

Death was just something that Maria had become accustomed to during her time at Auswitzch. She spent her days daydreaming about walking on grass instead of dragging through mud. At night she would sneak out behind her housing unit and count the stars. It was against the rules but she was no longer scared.

He was just doing his job, but he wasn't sure why anymore. He had been told that Jews had no redeemable qualities, but he couldn't imagine any of that being true when he saw her face lit up by the moon. He didn't talk to her that night or any other night and he would come to regret it.

The next morning they both woke up with a feeling of dread. William's dread was accompanied by the knowledge that today was gas day. This time, unfortunately, had become more frequent as the war pressed on. Today he was to collect the women from their bunks in the early hours of the morning, then escort them to the gas chamber. His stomach churned at the thought, more than it usually did. He pondered on when he had become this person, someone who couldn't even look into the mirror for fear of seeing the truth of who he really was. The cold bitter wind seemed to be warning the both of them that this was not going to be a happy day.

She followed the young soldier as he escorted them to an unknown destination. He turned and looked at the group once but all he could see was her. He gasped at the overwhelming pain in his chest and unexplainable longing for her.

They walking in and undressed. They were told that they were going to be taking a shower. Some of them cheered but Maria knew better. She caught a glimpse of William. She was so used to the guards having stone cold straight faces but his expressed sadness and pain. She knew that she was about to meet her creator. She was corralled into the large concrete room with hundreds of others and the officers stepped out and locked the doors. Chaos broke out when the gas started to fill the air. People were trying to beat against the doors and scratching the walls until their finger nails bled or they fell to their death.