The world could change its heart

Y/Ns POV

You sit there at the empty lunch table, watching as all the cliques pass by you. The cheerleaders hang around with the jocks in the middle of the lunchroom, the artist sit on the far left, the nerds sit on the far right, the druggies near the bathrooms, and you sit in the far right corner hidden by a large fake tree. Your glasses rest on the bridge of your nose as you nervously fiddle with your sweater.
You were invisible to everyone. Everyone would just walk past you without a second glance. They would push you around as if you weren't in view. You were alone in the large school of over a thousand kids. You would think at least one person would be friends with you, talk to you, but that wasn't your case. Hell, even the nerds ignored you when you should really belong in their cliche.
All you want is to be beautiful, to be seen as beautiful by everyone that walks around you. You want to be as pretty as all the other girls that are surrounded by guys wanting them. You want to be the girl that leaves that wow factor just by walking inside the building.
What you don't notice is a hazel eyed boy staring at you. A boy who has taken notice in you since the beginning of freshmen year but never had the nerve to ask you out. The two of you were now juniors with not one single word spoken to one another.
That night when you get home you stare at yourself in the mirror. Lifting you shirt up you stare at your abdomen and wish it was flatter, that your thighs had the perfect thigh gap, and that your butt was bigger. She wishes her face was smooth and flawless. That your brows were just a little fuller, her lips just a bit more plumper, and her cheeks just a bit slimmer. She stares at the images of all the celebrity women taped up on your wall. All of them thin, flawless, and have all the attention they want. That night you took the initiative to change yourself and be the girl hanged up on the wall.
Contacts in, face freshly made with make-up, white adidas on, with a tight grey cami and high waisted ripped jeans. Your hair was straightened down to perfection and you felt okay for once.  You walked through the halls with your head held high hoping that at least someone noticed. The hazel eyed boy watched as you walked inside with a whole new look. He furrowed his eyebrows wondering what brought such a change in such a short time.
People did stare. People did wonder who you were. Whispers were heard around you as you strutted down the halls to your locker. You grabbed all the books you needed as people eyed you. You smiled at the attention that continued on all day.
During lunch one of the cheerleaders offered for you to sit with them. You smiled and walked with them. There at the same table sat the hazel eyed boy. He gave you a shy smile as you stood in front of them.
"What's your name?" asked on of the cheerleaders as she sat on one of the football players laps.
"Y/N," You quietly said with a shy smile feeling a bit self-conscious as you were surrounded by skinny girls with flawless actions.
"Y/N, are you new here?" The same cheerleader asked.
"No she isn't," the hazel eyed boy spoke catching everyone, even yourself off guard. You turned to look at him with wide eyes as both of your faces heated up into a fiery red.
"Damn Grayson you know her don't you," said the boy sitting next to Grayson. His identical twin who's name you have not yet learned. Grayson awkwardly laughed and sheepishly looked down to the floor.
"Umm no I'm not. I've been going here since freshmen year." You awkwardly said while clearing your throat hoping your face color would return to normal.
"Damn why have we never seen you around?" The cheerleader asked again with a tilted head she eyed you up and down.
"I don't know, I guess I just wasn't that noticeable." You shrugged while taking a seat down next to Grayson's twin brother.
"Oh how rude of us. Why don't we all introduce ourselves to our new friend. I'm Kayla. Right there sitting next to you is Ethan, Grayson, Debbie, Marc, Ryan, Lilly, Bethany, Paul, and Lincoln. The other's have lunch at a separate time from us." Kayla smiled as she pointed at each person as she introduced them to me.
You nodded your head with a smile and greeted them all. The rest of lunch was spent with the girls asking you questions about your make-up and your outfit. Grayson picked at his food as he listened to you shyly talk to the girls about things you weren't even sure about. He noticed the small shakiness in your voice that you were hoping no one would notice and the way you bounced your leg up and down feeling anxious about sitting down at the popular table.
He was noticing the small things that no one else took notice of and that even yourself weren't aware of.
It's been a few weeks now. You were getting sick of being someone you knew you weren't, but beauty is pain. At least that's what you would tell yourself whenever you were near giving up. There were mornings you would look at yourself in your bathroom mirror and hold back the tears that begged to come out because your face was just freshly made up.
Walking through the halls had grown exhausting. Physically and mentally. Your body felt tired just by walking up a flight of stairs and your hands would shake at the smallest amount of change in the AC at the school. Lunch time has now become a nightmare and everyone spoke to you and you felt even to tired to speak.
Grayson noticed you slowly fading away. Both mentally and physically. He never sees you with food or eating anything all day long. He wonders if you ever eat anymore by the way your face sinks in and how weak you look.
"Hey, umm do you want my apple?" Grayson quietly asks not wanting to grab any un-needed attention from the others.
"No, I'm good thanks." You weakly smile as you feel your stomach tighten at the sight of the crisp red apple is his tan hands. Your mouth waters for it but you tell yourself that you can go a little while longer.
"Are you sure?" He asks again noticing you eye the red apple with a sad expression.
"Positive," you nod before excusing yourself from the table and walking out of the lunchroom fifteen minutes earlier than anyone else. They all look at you confused and wonder what was wrong. Grayson soon excuses himself and falls after you. The table is left with curiosity filling their minds before shrugging it off and continuing on with their conversations. Ethan on the other hand knows what's going on. His brother would mention his worries about you to him every night when the two would be alone at home. He truly hoped you were okay.
You started off walking down the hall towards the bathroom, then jogging, soon enough you found yourself sprinting down the hall wanting to get to the bathroom sooner. You felt the tears building up in your eyes and the pain you were feeling kept growing stronger.
Grayson chased you, but you didn't notice him. When you walked inside the bathroom you were thankful that no one was in their. You turned to look at yourself in the mirror and cried harder as you noticed the mascara dripping down your eyes onto your perfectly contoured cheeks.
Grayson stood outside contemplating on what to do. He gave himself a small pep-talk before pushing the door open and locking it behind him. The moment you heard the door open you quickly turned to see who it was. Your eyes widened when you saw a boy inside the bathroom and with his hand on the lock.
"I know I'm not supposed to be in here and could get in a shitload of trouble, but I couldn't live with myself if I just let you walk out of the lunchroom. I'm not going to hurt you okay," he whispered with so much sincerity in his voice that is almost sounded fake to you. Almost did. You stared at him quietly, your mind spinning with so many questions as he stepped closer to you and stood in front of you.
"I remember freshmen year....you were wearing this pink sweater with a pair of high waisted jeans and combat boots. Your hair was pulled back into a pony tail with your face free of any-make up and glasses perched on the bridge of your nose." Grayson quietly admitted taking your breath away. Your face heated up as you stared into his eyes with curiosity swimming in them.
"How do you remember what I wore on the first day of high school?" you asked him. Your skin feeling as if flames were crawling up engulfing your body. Your eyes trained on Grayson as he stared down at you with crimson shade painting his cheeks. His eyes were swimming with nerves as he admitted to you things that you believed no one noticed about you.
"Because I remember seeing you walk down the hall with your head down to the ground thinking you were the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. You still are the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. I remember seeing you walk into my first period freshmen year and sitting next to me in the front. I notice that when your anxious you fiddle with your pencil, your voice begins to shake, or your knee bounces up and down as you try to get rid of the nerves.. You sat on the very far corner near the large plant by yourself watching everyone as they passed by. I took notice in you but I have been to damn scared to actually talk to you." Grayson admitted leaving you completely speechless. Your mouth felt dry and your eyes welled up in tears as you stared up at the tan boy who looked anxious.
He was waiting for you to say something, anything. He had just finished pouring out his heart out. He had just admitted to you things he was too afraid to say.
"Why?" You manage to whisper out. You shake your head as he looks down at you with a confused expression.
"Why now? Why tell me how you feel now Grayson?" You ask him while running your hands through your hair as you turn to face the mirror looking down to ceramic sinks.
"Because.....I see you hurting yourself to add up to someone you aren't. You are trying to become a shadow of another person, and soon enough if someone doesn't try and help you'll fade away. I see your worth, I see what others don't see. You don't have to change a thing about yourself to be noticed. Let me be your mirror." Grayson softly spoke as he leaned against the sink looking at you.
"But if I don't change myself I'll be unnoticed. People didn't talk to me until I finally changed my appearance. My personality and who I was. I am getting noticed because I changed." You fought back not wanting to admit that he was right.
"But you aren't doing it for yourself. You are doing it for everyone else out their sitting in the cafeteria." Grayson sighed.
That was when you broke. The tears that you were so dreadful about letting go were now cascading down your face. When you looked up you noticed how blotchy and stained your entire face was. You saw a complete stranger in the mirror who was slowly losing herself.
"I was always the outcast. The person who no one wanted to be friends with. I was the girl who was always pushed around because I was way to weird. I've dealt with changing myself so many times that when it finally worked I took my chance and actually made friends." You cried out while turning to face him again.
"But you don't have to." Grayson sternly said as he looked at you with a sad expression.
"If I didn't we probably wouldn't be locked here in the school's bathroom hoping that no one comes in. We wouldn't be talking at this very moment or you wouldn't be admitting your feelings to me." You fought back. This time Grayson stood silently beside you not knowing how to respond because he knew that you were partly right. Instead of saying anything Grayson fully turned his body to face you and gently rose your face up to look up at him.
Soon both of your faces were centimeters apart, eye to eye, and your face a cherry red.
"Can I kiss you?" Grayson quietly asked as he looked into your eyes as he patiently waited for consent.
"Yes," you softly whispered as you felt your heart pound against your chest as you waited for Grayson to press his lips on to yours. His lips soon rested on yours. His lips softly moved against yours as you wrapped your arms around his neck. His hand rested gently on the small of your back while the other rested under your jaw. The kiss was short and sweet, yet it managed to take your breath away completely. You felt breathless when he pulled away and rested his forehead on yours. Your eyes remained shut as the two of you tried to process what had just occurred. The two of you missed hearing the bell ring through out the entire school indicating that lunch was over. The two of you ignored the tug at the door as the two of you stood their in a calm silence.
"You are beautiful just the way you are. You don't have to change a thing about yourself. Let me show you how the world can change it's heart." He whispered as he waited for you to show him your beautiful eyes.
Fluttering your eyes up you stared into his hazel eyes looking for any sign of him lying. When you saw none, you let out a sigh.
"Okay," you whispered finally admitting to yourself that it was time to stop acting like someone you weren't and realize yourself how much you are worth.
That was the first day of healing and the first day of many spent with Grayson.