seven

Cam woke up to Bruce sitting in her chair in the corner of her room. She opened one eye and groaned loudly.

"Good your awake," he said putting his phone away. She laid facing the ceiling. "Sit up," he said sternly. She rolled her eyes and propped up some pillows behind her.

"What?" she asked looking at him.

"First off I just wanted to say I'm happy your safe," Bruce said looking at her. Cam rolled her eyes and said,

"Buuut."

"What do you mean but?"

"There's always a but with you, Bruce."

"Fine. But you shouldn't have tried to step up the Joker. You aren't crazy like him. I know that. You were reckless, irresponsible, and-"

"Are you kidding me?!" Bruce stopped talking. He looked at her. She had tears in her eyes and was clearly angry. "We got the Joker, I'm fine, Gotham is fine. Why the hell are you so mad. Why can't you take a win?"

"That wasn't a win. I saw you get slapped more times-"

"Wait. You saw me get slapped?" Bruce realized he was supposed to keep that a secret. "How much did you see before you helped me?"

"I only saw when he threw water on you-"

"So basically you saw the whole damn thing." Cam threw her head back. "You saw and you didn't help me?" She looked at him. She got out of her bed and stood tall in front of Bruce. "How could you? You saw me get beaten. You heard what he said and you did nothing."

"We were trying-"

"No! You don't get to interrupt me!"

"No, you don't get to interrupt me!" Bruce shouted back. Cam took a step back. He got out of the chair and stood over her. "You could've been like him. You could've ended up dead. You were careless. Just like in real life. You got a tattoo without consulting me! You are an embarrassment to this family!" The room fell silent. They stared at each other. Cam had tears spilling over her cheeks.

"Get out!"

"Cam-,"

"Get the hell out!" she shouted while punching him. She kept hitting him while he was walking out. "Don't talk to me until you apologize!" she shouted while slamming the door on him. Bruce looked down the hallway and saw Alfred looking at him.

"Nice going, Master Wayne," Alfred said while passing by him.
~
Cam was held up in her room and crying. She let out sobs, some loud and others silent. She stayed in her room all day. Occasionally Alfred came in with water to keep her hydrated. No one else was allowed in her room. A knock came at the door. It was Todd.

"Go away," she tried shouting but it came out softer than she imagined.

"Cmon. I wanna help."

"You'd help by going away." Todd was going to argue with her but found it best not to. She was in a fragile state and he didn't want to pile on.
~
Alfred came in around six and asked what Cam wanted for dinner.

"What is for dinner?"

"I'm making chicken but I can get you some soup," he said. She rolled over to look at him.

"That would be wonderful, Alfred." He smiled at her and went away. When he closed the door he could feel his eyes watering. He wiped them quickly before anyone saw him. When he walked into the kitchen he started to cut up some of the chicken and vegetables.

"Is Cam coming?" Dick asked while stuffing some mashed potatoes into his mouth.

"Miss Camilla is eating in her room."

"No she's eating down here," Bruce said putting his fork down.

"Master Wayne that is not the best idea."

"I am her father, I know what's best for her."

"Bruce she needs space!" Everyone was shocked that Alfred raised his voice but the fact that he called him Bruce was something else. He saw everyone's eyes on him. He continued to make the soup and put some crackers on the side. "She will be in her room for the rest of the night." He grabbed the tray and exited. Bruce sat down and continued to eat. He went upstairs and put her food on her nightstand.

"Thank you, Alfred. I love you." His heart broke a little but he smiled through and responded,

"I love you, too."