6.

6. 

Same shit, different Sunday.

Raj and I are just chilling in our green armchairs. I'm updating my résumé because my father wants me to apply for an internship at his friend's firm. Raj is typing. He might even be doing homework. We're both interchangeably sipping on our beverages, but Raj's green tea is running low. Luckily for him, who swoops in to save the day? None other than the one and only Lilah Tov.

She just waltzes over with a kettle and pours more tea into Raj's cup. Then, after searing her eyes into mine, she walks away and returns to her post behind the counter.

"William," begins Raj.

"Yes?" I reply.

"I want to ask you something, but I don't mean to upset you."

"Ask away."

"I know that you have a...history with Lilah, correct?"

"You could say that."

"Well, I know that you're with Ellie now, so I was just wondering if..." he trails off.

"What is it, Raj," I prompt, even though I know what's coming.

"Would you be alright if I were to ask Lilah on a date?"

What I want to say is, "No, I certainly would not be okay with that." But what I say—through clenched teeth and tightened muscles—is, "Of course. It's your life. It's her life. Do whatever, man."

He nods, blissfully unaware of how many bro code violations he is in the process of making. And then he stands up. Raj places his computer down on his armchair, smiles at me—as if to say thanks, and then he walks over to the counter. The same counter that Lilah Tov happens to be (wo)manning. He says something to her and she grins, saying something back. He laughs. She leans in. They look at each other. He presumably pops the question. She lets her smile fade for just a moment as she pauses to consider it, and then she nods and their easy conversation picks back up.

A new customer walks in, which is Raj's cue to bid adieu and reclaim his green armchair.

He sits back down across from me, trying to shield his obvious delight.

"She said yes," he tells me.

"Did she?"

"Yes," he grins.

"I'm happy for you."

"William," he starts.

"Yes, Raj?"

"Not to pry, but what happened between the two of you? As in, the end?"

I think about it.

"You don't have to answer. It was impolite of me to ask."

"We ended," I say, "because we grew up."