Chapter Five

Whenever You Remember

Chapter Five

@CheyenneRayne

All Rights Reserved

            I couldn't believe what I was hearing, he actually remembered something. Something I was so curious about and when he told me what I thought I wanted to hear, I didn't respond the way I thought I would…

            He was really going to divorce her.

            After all this time, he was finally going to do it. I had always dreamed of this moment, yet when it happened, I wasn't as thrilled as I thought I would be. I mean seriously, did I really think we would have a chance after this? He was eight years older than me and he had a kid. What could I give him that he didn't already have? Besides, we were such good friends… I couldn't risk losing him… Not now.

            “Home? What are you talking about?” He asks, following me all the way to the guest room. I start picking up the few things I have laying around and place them back in my suitcase.

             “I was here to help you remember. Now you do. My job’s done.”

             He shakes his head, “No, I don’t remember everything… Just the fight. You can't leave me yet. You’re supposed to stay until I go back to the Doctor in two weeks.”

            “Lucas, you just said you didn't care if you ever remembered that part of your life. I can't help someone who doesn’t want to be helped… Besides, I told you, call your Doctor and make an earlier appointment. I’m sure they can get you in.”

            I zipped up my suitcase and headed toward the garage. “Natalie, you can’t be serious. Come back here, please?”

            I lay my suitcase in the backseat of my car. “No, I don't live here… I need to get back to school, and finish like everyone else. Just because I'm not here, doesn't mean I'm not your best friend. I’ve never been here longer than an hour or so anyway. It’ll be no different than before.”

            “That was with Claire. She doesn't matter anymore. You can come and stay whenever and as long as you like… And what about Jessa? I’m sure I can be in court by the end of the week?”

             I smile. “Lucas Scott, you know I'll be there.”

            He relaxes a bit. “Thank you, Natalie… For everything.”

             “You betcha.” I wink, playfully. “Let me know what the Doc says. If he needs me there, I’m just a phone call away.” It was so hard leaving him, but I knew it was for the best. I needed to focus on finishing school and he needed to focus on making the best decision for him and Jessa.

            This was his call and I planned to be as uninvolved as humanly possible.

            Once I got back home, I had to explain to my parents what was going on and why I was home so soon. I tried to be as careful as possible, never mentioning anything about Claire or the fight. I sent Lucas a text and told him my side of the story. I didn't want anyone to know that I knew about the divorce and Lucas agreed that was a good idea.

            While I was waiting to hear back from Lucas, I went ahead and finished my English final and turned it in. It was just one less thing I had to worry about…

            When I finally heard from Lucas, he was able to get an appointment with the Doctor and he wanted me to come along. Apparently, the Doctor wanted to ask me some questions as well, which I had expected.

            So, I left again. By the time I got to the hospital, Lucas was already back, but the nurse pulled me aside and told me to wait for Doctor Davis in his office…

            Ten minutes later, he came in. “Good afternoon, Natalie. Nice to see you again.” He shakes my hand and sits behind his desk. He crosses his arms. “So, Lucas is doing very well, I see?”

            I nod, “Yes, he has made a speedy recovery.”

            “And you think he’s ready for you to leave?”

            “He seemed to be fine with it.”

            He sighs, “Normally, I'd wait another week or so before releasing him. But you seem to believe he is doing well and he did pass his tests, so I see no reason why he can't go back to work.”

            I figured I’d have to answer a lot more questions than that, but I didn’t complain, as long as Lucas could return to work and I could go back to school, I was happy.

            Once the Doctor finished talking to me, I met Lucas outside the hospital. He was smiling ear to ear. “Someone’s happy.”

            “Of course, I am. I can go back to work and my lawyer just called. I’m supposed to meet him at his office in fifteen minutes.”

            Dang. “That quick?” He nods. “And you’re really going to go through with this?”

            He sighs, “How many times are you gonna ask me that?”

            I chuckle. “Sorry, none of my business… Well, I guess I’ll talk to you later.”

            “I’ll let you know what I find out.”

            And with that, I was on my way back home for the second time today. And once again, I would be waiting to hear from Lucas. I really, really tried to keep myself out of it and I think I’m doing a pretty good job at it. I just hope that he can get custody of Jessa. Usually, judges always want to give it to the Mom but in this case, that’s a very bad idea.

            I just hope they’ll be able to see how Claire really is.