Chapter 4

Days had passed

Days had passed. Nights blurred by, and Yvette was starting to settle into her new life. Aslaug had provided her with her own cabin and a new set of clothes to adjust to horrid winter that was brewing. Yvette was slowly but surly coming along into this new world, she feared the Heathens less, realizing that they lived very similar lives as such back in France; there where minor differences and Yvette noticed them all but none the less it was similar.

Yvette was finding herself quietly walking into the hall that was filled to the brim with mostly aged Vikings. The sight of ale being spilled and men gazing at women, free and not, were the only things for Yvette to lay her eyes on, she still very much could not get over the fact these men treated women like toys, animals, pawns, nothing, like they where kids toys to be played with. It disgusted her.

"Shouldn't you be in your cabin, it's quite late for you to be out here." A familiar voice spoke behind Yvette. Swiftly she twisted around to face him. Hvitserk stood behind her, a cup of ale in his hand and a smirk on his lips.

"I - I just needed some food." Yvette was curing herself for stuttering, but she couldn't help the feeling that was stirring inside her stomach at the way Hvitserk was staring at her.

"Me to, shall we eat together?" Hvitserk held out his arm to her with a cocky grin. Yvette felt her stomach twist and she almost refused to touch his stained skin. Give us a try, you need to make this work. She thought to herself and her inner human was right. She needed to give this a even chance to work, she wanted so desperately to at least like her husband. She knew it was to far out of reach to ever love him, she could never, never love a heathen but she could at least like him.

"With pleasure, Hvitserk."

When the two sat down neither of them said anything. Food was served and for first few moments they ate in silence.

Hvitserk looked up from his food, he wanted to break the silence that was lingering between them but he didn't know what to say to her. So he said the first thing that came to his mind.

"How - um - how is your food?"

"Cold . ." Yvette scrunched her nose up while meeting his eyes.

Hvitserk didn't have much training when it came to being polite. he barely had to, so what was the point? He was a prince, as well as Ragnar's Son; he didn't have to ask for anything. Hvitserk fidgeted in his seat before clearing his throat.

"Y-you can have mine." He chocked out, moving his warm plate of food toward Yvette. "Mines warm."

Yvette was stunned. She didn't know how to react as she looked at the uncomfortable man beside her. It was very clear he had never done anything like this for anyone and it's completely understandable; he's a prince. He can take what he wants when he wants it without any questions asked.

"No, Hvitserk please. I'm fine, this is fine."

"No, I insist." He pushed his plate further to her. Yvette looked at him and for the first time during this night her face soften and she genuinely felt that Hvitserk was trying his best to establish a mutual friendship just as she was. Yvette pulled the plate of food in front of her and took the first bite which was warm. A soft hum left her lips.

"Why now, Hvitserk?" Yvette spoke after swallowing the piece of meat. Hvitserk knitted his brows in confusion.

"What do you mean." He took a sip of his ale as well as pouring Yvette some more; she thanked him with a smile.

"Why are you speaking to me now. It has been almost two moons, we are to be married by the end of this moon but now you speak to me?"

Hvitserk was dumbfounded. "I - I - um-" he clears his throat before finishing. "I don't . . . I don't want this."

"You think that I do? Well I don't either but there is nothing that can be done, we don't have to be in love - because I know I will never love you, but we can at least try to like each other. I don't want to hate you."

"I don't want to hate you either, you are very beautiful Yvette it would be a shame to hate such a beauty."

Yvette grinned, whiling bringing her Goblet to her lips and taking a small sip. "Hvitserk are you coming onto me?"

"You can't blame a man for trying."

There was a comfortable silence between them before they both had a small laugh. For the ford time since Yvette arrive in Kattegat this was the only genuine laugh she's had.

"So, before you marry me should I know of any lovers that will fill my bed before I rest my head in it?"

Hvitserks eyes seem to bug out of his skull and he chocked on his ale. "W-what?"

Yvette could suppress the drucken giggles and almost fell backwards out of her stool; Hvitserk was quick to wrap his arm around her waist and keep her steady while small laughs where escaping his own lips.

The laughter soon died down and hvitserk spoke first. "There is no one - well there has been plenty - but not one."

Yvette smiled at him before downing the last of her ale. She stood from the table, stumbling for only a second then straighten out her dress. Hvitserk followed her lead but not before he stumbles over his own two, falling against the table. Seems the two had more than they thought, and both where slightly intoxicated.

"Good night, Hvitserk."

"L-let me walk you back." Hvitserk slurred.

"I can handle myself Hvitserk, goodnight."