P R O L O G U E

a soft knock at the door woke me up from my slumber, i turn to see my dad. the famous astrologist, coleman everett.

'good morning sweetie, i'm heading off to work now but before i go,' he takes out a model of saturn from his bag.

he hands me the model for me to examine, inside the glass ball, sand moves around in a clockwise motion.

'i love it!' you exclaimed, 'thank you'

'i knew you would kiddo, now i gotta go sweetheart. i love you my little star, see you tonight'

i get up to hug him tightly, kissing his cheek, then he walks out the door. there i sit on my twin sized bed holding my new gift. gently, i placed the planet on it's glass stand on the nightstand. after a couple of minutes, i decided to change into some comfortable clothes. it took a couple minutes to brush out my hazel hair, as i looked in the mirror piercing blue eyes shot back at me. mom always said that i could be a model since i exceeded the qualifications to be one. but being a 14 year old, i didn't want to think about future careers yet. finally, i finished tying my hair up into a high ponytail. mom was waiting for me at the table with a bowl of cereal sitting at my seat.

'thanks mom' you smiled at her

'you're welcome star, did you sleep well?' she asked

'yeah i did, dad also gave me a model of saturn that moves!' you say excitingly

'i saw! he showed me before he went into your room' she smiled at me.

'hurry up you're gonna be late for school!' she giggled as she stuffed a spoonful of cereal into my mouth.

i quickly swallowed the last bit of cereal and grabbed my backpack. mom had put away the bowl and was grabbing her purse and keys. we then rushed to the car and drove to school

-

finally, it was the end of another stressful day of school. i said my goodbyes to my friends and hopped into mom's car.

'did you have a good day at school?' mom asked once she started to drive away

'stressful, but yeah i did' i replied

'schoolwork?' she questioned

'no, it's the boys, they're so irritating' i reply

'at this age, they always are' she smiled

the car pulled up into the driveway, i got out and headed towards the door. mom followed closely and unlocked the door. i headed straight towards my room and shut the door, after changing i put on some music and began my homework.

-

i looked up from my mountain of papers to check the time, it was around 7:36 pm, dad should be home soon. my door burst open to reveal mom, she was a wreck. tears flowed from her eyes, her mascara running down her cheeks, her nicely tied bun was undone.

'm-mom what happened?' i ask as i rush over to her. the words slurred as she tried to speak through her waterfall of tears.

'y-your dad, h-he died honey. the lab he was in caught fire, he didn't make it out' she bawled

shock, anger, and sadness filled my body, dad's d-dead? but how? he was here this morning, how could something like this happen. soon enough the tears trickled from my eyes, more and more rushed down my cheeks. mom pulled me into a hug and there we sat on the floor, crying.

'star?'

immediately, i was snapped out of my thoughts, tears dripped onto the picture of dad and i from 5th grade. i wiped away the tears and cleaned off the picture setting it down on my nightstand. today was the day i moved to la, i had finally graduated high school and got a job at a model agency halfway across the country.

'are you ready to go?' mom asked through the closed door

'yeah i'm just grabbing my backpack, i'll be there in a second!' i threw my backpack over my shoulder and rolled out my suitcase. walking through the halls of my childhood wasn't easy, memories of both dad and mom laughing and goofing off filled my head. there mom stood at the end of the hallway, alone, she embraced me with open arms and caressed my back.

'you're gonna do great ok baby?' she spoke into my shoulder.

'i know mom, i'll take good care of myself. and you take care of yourself ok?

i love you mom'

'i love you too, star'

i walked out of my house and into the uber, he drove me to the airport which was only an hour away. i checked in and waited to board my flight.

'flight 148 departing virginia, arriving at los angeles now boarding'

quietly, i boarded the plane and walked to the first class area. the company was generous enough to give me first class on my way to la. once the plane took off, i knew it was gonna be a long journey ahead. the cabin dimmed and i looked out my window to see the shining stars, 'i'm gonna make you proud dad' and as if on command, a star blinked in response. i smile at the star and lean back into my chair and fall asleep.

i'm back, i hope you guys like it