VI.

A/N: A big, big thank you to @Rocky7777777 and @unoriginalphantrash1 for the votes and comments. Greatly appreciated, my dears! :)

******************

It's been three weeks since Granger had arrived at the Manor. Three weeks since his world had become more bearable. He didn't know how they came about an unspoken truce, but somehow they'd begun to spend more and more time together without even meaning to.

And without much argument, as well!

All right, that's pushing it a bit far. They still argued. A lot. But about academic things!

It was to be expected considering that they both loved to read and study. So, naturally, they also had differing opinions regarding almost everything. They often would debate from sunup to sundown, breaking only for meals. Their talks were always challenging, stimulating and exhilarating. Never before had Draco found someone who could shoot down his theories point by point or make him agree to theirs after a long and exhausting discussion.

Their intellects matched and Draco felt himself admiring the Muggle-born witch's brain.

But more than that...he found himself getting attached to her.

Not a moment passed by that he wasn't thinking of her - anticipating their next conversation, their next horseback ride, their next sunset viewing, their next...anything! He didn't really care what they did, as long as they did it together.

Shite! Did I really think that? What's wrong with you, Draco? Are you developing romantic feelings for Granger, the Bookworm, the War Heroine and best friend of St. Pothead?

He raked his fingers through his ruffled mane and jumped to his feet.

No! Of course not! I'm just...well...she's the only other human being here! And Merlin knows how long I'd been all alone in this humongous house. Except for the elves, of course. But I couldn't very well go horseback riding with them now, could I? Or discuss the Goblin revolt or the intricacies of arithmancy or...or...the differences and similarities between the Muggle and the Wizarding way of life! I was just starved for company...Yes! That's it! I was just lonely! And she came along when I was at my lowest!

He snorted and flopped back down in his chair.

Who am I kidding? She's always fascinated me, even at Hogwarts. And I hated her for that!

His thoughts were interrupted by the now familiar sound of her voice. He strained to hear what she was saying, but he could not make it out, so he moved to the window and looked down into the gardens.

She was sitting cross-legged on the thick grass under the enchanted dome protecting the garden, tying a bundle of wild flowers with colorful bows. Now he understood why he could not clearly make out her words - she was singing! Humming and singing! He could not help but smile at the innocence of her pose. He had returned her things to her, including her wand, the day after he showed her the library, but she still preferred to do 'manual labor' (as she laughingly referred to picking flowers) whenever possible. Fifi and Tinder came into view, bringing more wild flowers with them. She thanked them and gathered the flowers into her basket - the one that used to hold dozens of knitted socks and hats. He later on learned that she already knew that the elves had been freed and that they were receiving monthly salaries. The socks and hats were just her way of thanking them for taking care of her.

He found himself smiling at the memory. She looked lovely then as she stood her ground, waving those ridiculous knitting needles at him. And she's even lovelier now...

Shite! You're in deep trouble, mate!

He pushed away from the window and started pacing up and down his study. He must not think of her that way! He would just be setting himself up for a massive heartbreak. How could he even consider himself worthy of her? He was never, ever worthy of her...not then...not now...