Chapter 5

Recap: He called me pretty, no one ever called me pretty. . . ever. I never got told that and it made me happy. He was going to get me in trouble. But I felt like I was going to enjoy it.

It was the first time in forever that I my sleep wasn't plagued by nightmares in a long time. Nightmares became such a regularity for me that I was used to waking up in fear with no one to comfort me. And the dark seemed to make it worse as well.

The dark made me more fearful for some reason especially after nightmares. It was like the dark carried everything from my nightmares as if they had come to life. To search me out and kill me, but this night not a single nightmare plagued me. I use to wake up in a cold sweat sometimes and sometimes have fever dreams. When I woke up from a nightmare I had no one to comfort me. Back at the cursed place I couldn't turn on the lights or I'd risk their wrath while here I turned on the lights to comfort myself some.

As if to prove to myself nothing was in the dark. I stayed up for about an hour before I was able to turn off the light and go back to sleep and then it took thirty minutes to fall asleep. But tonight there wasn't any nightmares and I woke up to my alarm and shot up quickly. I stopped upon realizing I had no nightmare and it was just my alarm. I hit stop before looking at the end of the bed where Onyx sat watching me as I moved the blankets from me and let my bare feet touch the cold floor.

"Second day in college." I told Onyx with a small smile on my face at the thought of it. The first day of college was good so I could hope that the second one would be good. Shaking my head I walked over to the dresser and opened up the old wooden drawers. I searched through the drawers before decided on a knit dark red sweater, another pair of fleece leggings and then the boots that I had before heading to the bathroom and doing my routine before heading out to the kitchen. Onyx followed me so I got him some dog food.

The college provided some food to start off with when you took an animal home. I was sitting at the table eating a bagel once more. The cream cheese was even colder with the cold apartment we were in. But I enjoyed it though. Bagels had always been my favorite food. They were cheap to buy and easy to make so I ate them frequently. Soon I'd begin my venture to the college, but at least I'd have Onyx with me, but it'd be cold. I'd have to bring my gloves like usual.

Onyx came over and laid down at my feet so I leaned down and scratched behind his ear. Onyx tilted his head to me and I smiled at him. He may be aggressive well written, but he seemed to be sweet with me. I just believe he is misunderstood more than anything and no one gave him the time of day he deserves. Almost like me. Onyx just needed a friend and I was going to be that friend to get him better. He didn't seem to be bad aggressive and I had no desire to make him a service or therapy dog.

He would be more of my at home wolf while working in the classroom until the field work was over and I adopted him. Then he be staying here at my apartment for most of his time while going on walks, muzzled until he proved himself that he wouldn't bite anyone. Better safe then sorry. Onyx would make me feel a bit safer when I walked to college. He wouldn't be able to make me warmer, but he would allow me to feel safer when I walked to college with him while we were doing some field work.

Once the fieldwork was over, Onyx couldn't come to school with me anymore. Then I'd be back to walking to college alone. Right now it wasn't really muggers I was afraid of, but more of that wolf. Those haunting gold eyes were trapped in my mind as were those teeth and for some reason Onyx gave me reassurance that the wolf wouldn't come back. His amber eyes were different as well and he'd be one way to conquer my fear. But gold eyes weren't the only eyes trapped in my mind or that entered my dreams since I moved here.

A certain pair of burnt amber eyes had been in my dreams last night. Those eyes literally were everywhere in my dreams accompanied by Embry of course. He was everywhere in my dreams instead of nightmares he brought dreams. Pleasant dreams of him, he was everywhere. When I woke up it wasn't out of fear which was pleasant as well. Onyx nudged me as I stood up now finished with the bagel still dreading having to walk to the college. I put the sink away before going back to the table and my eyes shifted to a piece of paper on the table.