Pride and Pain

The road to Capitol was long. Well, long to any country girl that hadn't been farther from home than a days walk to Valley. The road was dirt,hard packed from years of use. Shallow ruts showed how few heavy wagons came this far North. The road snaked gently back and forth, following the easiest path around hills, fields, and streams. Everything was green in late Spring. Fields were just sprouting crops. It had been a warm, wet spring, perfect for planting.

When going around a hill wasn't an option, the little road would go up and over. Even as used to walking as I was, those long hills up left me exhausted and gasping for breath. Timberton was relatively flat. It only had the one small hill between Pir's and town. Her family farm was near the top of that short hill.

I walked beside Horse mostly. I wasn't used to riding, so I had been extremely sore after my ride out of Valley. Riding an hour or so at a time was building my tolerance. But I was mighty glad Horse was a gentle beast. Derb, the stable hand, gave me detailed instruction on basic horse care. He liked to talk about his work, and I was an eager listener. Afterward I would write everything down in a section of my journal set aside for just such information. One never knew when tidbits of knowledge would come in handy. Like knowing how to remove a rock from Horse's shoe.

I was detailing the trip to Capitol in my new journal. I'd had bought a new one from Naton, the Bookbinder, along with several other things that had been on a list from Healer Rullisa. And it was a substantial list. I had been forced to admit that I hadn't planned as well as I'd thought.

After going over the list several times, I had decided to buy many of the things in Capitol after she arrived at the healer school. There were just too many necessary items to pack on little Horse. Mama had insisted on sending linens for her bed, towels, and a warm wool blanket. I was not sure why she decided to insist on linens of all things, but hadn't argued. Mama was already upset about I leaving. And she was even more upset I had refused money and a monthly stipend.

I wanted my parents, Mama especially, to understand how hard I had worked to be ready for the day I left. Hesta thought I was a bullheaded child being absolutely silly to refuse the help.

That day had been a long one. I had left early, just as the smoke started to rise out of Valley's Bakery's chimney. It was a cool morning in late April. I hadn't been able to sleep the night before. I was so excited and nervous about leaving I couldn't rest. When I dozed, she had disturbing dreams of being chased and not being able to get away.

The healer college had accepted me. Just another week and I would be there.

Before too long I would hit the main road to Capitol itself. The Main road to Capitol was similar to the road Timberton was on. It was wider, with ditches on each side, slightly mounded toward the middle to encourage the water to run off. Muddy roads were terrible to traverse. It was hard on person, animal or wagon. I hoped I wouldn't have to deal with that.

I wore a floppy hat to keep the sun off my face. My shirt was light material, but covered me to the wrist and ankle. Someone as fair skinned as I was had to be careful not to burn. I was sweating, but a mild breeze kept me from being to uncomfortable. Dust from the road tickled my nose and made me sneeze. My head itched under my handkerchief, but I left it on since it was catching the sweat.

I rode Horse for the first few hours. My excitement kept me from realizing the pain I was in. When I decided to have a mid morning snack, I looked around for a place I could dismount Horse easily. Unfortunately I was on a very flat stretch of road with farm fields on both sides. There were no convenient boulders or such around. Which also meant if I got down, I wasn't getting back up easily. Maybe if I had a tree... but I pushed the thought away. Finally I pulled Horse to a stop. She was content to do so. I would just have to jump down. I kicked my feet free of the stirrups, threw my leg over the saddle horn and slid to the ground. I was fine until my feet touched the road and my knees buckled. I fell on to my hands and knees, looking very undignified indeed. I was glad no one was around to see me like this. I was cursing because my knee had come down on what I was sure was the only stray rock in a 10 foot radius. Just my talent to find a way to hurt myself.