20. Bringing Out The George™ ft. Special Guest

The song doesn't really go with the chapter, but I love this song. Start whenever, it's We Need To Talk by Waterparks.

Ross

"So, we're all meeting up at Ryan's after school," Ashley declared as we all went to our lockers to put our things away from last period. I bet it looked weird to everyone else in school that there were now six people hanging around our group now, rather than just three, and it made a smug smile spread across my face.

"Why are we going to Ryan's house," Awsten questioned from beside Ashley, leaned up against a locker as he played with his necklace.

"Oh," Dallon started, "we always go to Ryan's house. His mom is the coolest out of all of ours, and his room is the only room on the second floor so it's like he's secluded from the rest of the house. Plus he's always got pizza rolls."

"Hmm." Awsten dropped the necklace and smiled happily. "I'm so down for that."

"I'm not going to be over today," Tyler said softly. "I promised Josh I'd go see him at work after school."

"Why don't you guys come over after he gets off work," I suggested, holding my books in one arm and letting the other drape over Brendon's shoulders.

"I don't think that's a good idea," he mumbled, kicking at the linoleum floor.

"Why not?" Ashley was fixing her hair in her locker mirror as she spoke to Tyler. "We're all friends with Josh, except for Awsten, but he would love Awsten."

Tyler kept quiet, his eyes on the ground and it didn't take a genius to understand his apprehension. "He doesn't know," Brendon concluded for the rest of us and Tyler nodded.

"He's blissfully unaware that there are such things as us, and I'd like to keep it that way for as long as I can," he said, closing his locker and hoisting his bag higher on his shoulder. "I'll see you guys tomorrow."

We all said goodbye to Tyler before turning back to each other. "I wish people knew we existed and we didn't have to worry that someone would freak out at the mention of our powers," Awsten mumbled softly. "We're still people."

We all nodded, letting silence surround us for a moment before Dallon decided that that was "enough sad shit for today." He turned on his heel and spun to Ashley's side, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. "Let's go to Ryan's and get to baking," he said, smiling widely as Awsten looked completely affronted.

"You didn't say we'd be smoking," he said, sounding a bit panicked.

Dallon rolled his eyes. "I was talking about the pizza rolls, Knight," he said, switching from Ashley to Awsten. "You've still got a lot to learn, young grasshopper."

As we all headed out of the school, a sleek black car pulled up in front of us, and I felt Brendon go rigid beside me, tightening his grip on my hand as I subconsciously pulled him a bit behind me. All of my apprehension went away when I saw who climbed out of the car and smiled at us. "What's up, children?"

Ashley cheered happily, bounding over to Gerard and jumping onto him, wrapping her arms and legs around him as he hugged her back. Dallon followed Ashley and went to him as well, dropping to the ground and wrapping his body around Gee's leg. "Good to see some things never change," he said with a soft chuckle as they released him.

I turned and smiled at Brendon, nodding that it was okay and we walked over to them. I hugged Gee and pulled back, still smiling. "What are you doing here, Gee? College finally get too boring for you and you decided to come back?"