4. Developing...

My feet were on top of the counter as I read a book from the comedy section. It was about a girl who liked her best friend, who she recently found out was gay, and pretended to be lesbian to make him jealous. It was just so mixed up at the same time so funny how she didn’t see the obvious solution. Well, to me, it would be the obvious solution: just get a boyfriend, not a girlfriend.

    It was club time on Monday and I was done with the returned books. When I came back to the counter, there was a whole new pile of books from the comedy section. Most of them were comics. So that was the batch that Alex is arranging now.

    A loud thump echoed through the almost empty library from beside me and I look up to see Alex slumped on his chair with a large book on the counter in front of him. “What’s that?” I ask, taking a look at the title and looking at the book number taped to its spine. “Romeo and Juliet?”

    “Yup.” He said, popping the ‘p’. “For English.”

    “Wait, do you have English every second and fifth period every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday?” I ask, wondering if he’s in my English class.

    “Yeah. We actually have English together but you don’t really notice me, or hear me when I call you.” He chuckles.

    I feel the heat rise up to my cheeks not really realizing that he had been calling me. “I see… sorry about that. I usually put all my focus on the teacher that you could yell my name in my ear and I wouldn’t even realize it.” I smiled sheepishly at him.

    “Note taken.” He said. “Do you wanna do something else? I don’t really wanna read this book.”

    “You do realize that we have a test about that tomorrow right?” I scoff, raising an eyebrow at him.

    “Shit, you’re right.” He realized and I click my tounge at him.

    “Alex, Alex, Alex… I expected more from you than to carelessly forget that we have a test tomorrow.” I shake my head at him. “Shame on you.”

    He rolled his eyes. “Haha, very funny.” He said sarcastically. “You know, I’m surprised. We only met a few days ago and we’re already acting like best friends. But come to think of it, I really should have been expecting that from Zachary’s sister.”

    I smiled. “But heads up just in case this is on the test: Romeo and Juliet was inspired by how Cleopatra died.” I said.

    He winked at me. “Thanks.” He said as he leaned back on his chair, closing his eyes.

    I sat back too and continued to read my book. A few seconds later, it was taken out from my hands. I glared at Alex. “You really have this thing for snatching books don’t you?” I asked, annoyed.

    “Maybe.” He shrugged.

    I punch him in the shoulders, but I still smiled. Then I stood up. “You know what? I’m up for a game. How about… we randomly pic a random book from the computers, and rush to get it first. Whoever wins the most, gets to boss around the loser all day.” I suggested.

    “Hmm…” Alex tapped his chin. “That doesn’t sound bad at all. Best out of ten rounds?”

    “Game on.” I said rushing to the computers.

    I type in the private library password into the library staff computer and start to press down on the key with the arrow pointing down, scrolling without looking at the computer. “Tell me when to stop.” I told Alex.

    “Stop.” He said after a few seconds.

    I immediately retract my hand and quickly read the book we stopped at. “The Devil and Miss Prym!” I shouted rushing to the bookshelves. I slow down my pace a bit, letting Alex go ahead and letting him think he was faster.