Arc I - Chapter 5

I was nervous. What would she see? Had father planned this trip? It seemed like he had wanted to meet the old woman earlier but we hadn't. Was it because mom doesn't like this old lady?

I felt Blake's hand in my left hand. I calmed down.

"It hasn't changed." The old woman burrowed her eyebrows. Her voice held suprise.

"What hasn't changed?" I asked

Aunt Anna opened her eyes. "Looks like you will learn to fly soon."

"Uh?" I said. I didn't like the fact she didn't respond to me.

"But it has been so many years since last time... It should have changed already, aren't I right?" Dad's voice had small trace of anxiety. Why was he speaking gibberish?

The old woman let go of our hands.

"It should have. For some reason, the future of your twins keeps being fixed. It's not a problem in my opinion. Future is a hard thing to seize. It will not remain unchanging forever."

Confusing. I looked at Blake. He looked calm but he held my hand tightly. We both were annoyed.

There was something that adults didn't want to share with us. Again. When would we be old enough to know things that concern us?

———

After saying our goodbyes to the old lady, we left home. I was in no mood to look around. I wanted to know what was so weird with our futures.

After returning to castle grounds dad made sure that hedge was thick enough to fight against possible magical control by me. Yeah. In what world would my magic work the way I want? Not in this one, I am sure.

We stayed in the rose garden. It was my favourite place in the castle. Okay, it was my favourite place in the world. White and red roses in different shades of red are all over the place. Marble platforms and other structures are also covered in roses. There is elegant table and chairs on one of the platforms. We often have tea there with our older siblings. Of course, we have to ask for help in order to get to the platform.

Oni-chan Dan and older sister Vivi were busy with their studies. Blake and I have lessons about etiquette, music, math, reading and writing but we have more free time than our siblings do. After growing a bit we would also be taught world studies and handling different kinds of weapons.

I sipped my tea as delicately I could. As a royal I was supposed to become an example for noble ladies. And I will. I will be graceful and at the same time I will become able to kick ass like elder sister Vivi. I wanted to become strong. I admire my sister who who keeps up her delicate flower act and who still can handle any blade with ease. She had given lots of painful lessons to male knights who kept treating her like something breakable. She was 15 and next year she would start going to a magic academy too. Three years later it would be time for Oni-chan to go.

I swinged my legs. I was bored. Blake had gone to pick up yet another book from library. I should have hone with him. I wanted to read something too.

"Princess do be careful. Sitting on the edge like that is dangerous! You wouldn't want to get hurt, would you?" I heard a loud voice warn me from a close distance. It was a very familiar voice. I flinched on impulse.

And then I was falling from the edge of a platform I was sitting on. I let out a very unladylike scream.

I don't want to die!

I tried to lessen the fall with my wings. And somehow I got the movement right. It was as if something had clicked in my brain at that exact moment. I understood what I needed to do in order to fly. I flew.

For a small moment I started going up instead of down. Then I was hit. Hands squeezed me confining both me and my rose red wings into someone's embrace. I saw white. We started descending slowly and gently.

My point of view started shaking and turning blurry. I was trembling, he was trembling. After meeting the ground I fell to my knees, taking him with me.

A big lump in my throat made me gasp for air. I felt burning sentation in my lungs. I heard yelling. For a few seconds I could hear nothing and see only black. Arms grapped my shoulders. I blinked the blurriness away. I could see his desperate eyes. Only thing I could hear was my quickened pulse. His lips moved but I didn't hear his voice. I could recognise one pattern. He kept doing that.

Breathe. In. And. Out.

I did what he silently ordered. I followed his example. I inhaled. Then exhaled.

"Breathe in." Now after calming down a little I could finally hear his voice. "Now exhale."

I could see him clearly. The look in his eyes hadn't changed. It was look of pure terror. He felt as lost as I was.

My breathing hitched for a moment till I remembered to breathe. A few more inhales and exhales.

After what felt like minutes I formed a shaky smile.

"I am okay now."

My heartbeat was calming down.

My lungs weren't burning anymore.

My tears flowed down.

I was so scared.

I tackled him into hug. My dear twin. Both desperate for touch, we held onto each other.

I was shaking from different feeling now. Relief. I hadn't died. I hadn't hurt my brother.

I hickuped. I wasn't able to cry silently.

He was crying too. I felt his hot tears hit my shoulder.

That's how our family found us: kneeling on the green grass surrounded by wild roses and thorns. Only the colour scheme of my flowers witnessed the whole array of emotions we had gone through.

A/N: I forgot to update. Hahaha...  I am sorry.