An Old Friend

Petra's eyes flew open, looking around quickly with alert eyes. "Who's there?!" She asked, almost threateningly. Or, it would've been threatening, if only she wasn't in the middle of a bit of a breakdown.

No response.

Petra stood up slowly, walking timidly to the middle of the room with extreme caution. She wasn't just..hearing things, was she? No...she couldn't be. That voice was clear as day. And almost familiar, now that she thought about it.

"Show yourself!" Petra shouted, a bit more confidently now, though her movements were still hesitant. She rubbed at her teary eyes, cautiously making her way over to where her sword had landed. Petra didn't even look at her weapon as she picked it up, too preoccupied trying to find the source of that voice.

"I don't need to! C'mon, you know me, Petra!"

Instantly, Petra dropped her sword and held her head between her hands, letting out a little yell as that voice seemed to ricochet through her head. It almost...hurt! Who the hell was that?! It was female, whoever it was. Slightly...robotic?

"Aw, I didn't mean to hurt you, sweetie. Well, maybe I did, but still! My sincere apologies, I'm still getting used to the mechanics of this."

Petra nearly fell over as she was spoken to again, but with a quick glance around the room, she saw that she was alone. She thought she was alone, but that voice...

Petra's vision started to black out slightly, black dots forming everywhere she looked. She stumbled slightly, hearing an echoey chuckle. It sounded like... Petra knew that voice, that laugh, that tone. "H-Har-" Petra started, but was interrupted by another voice, once that actually sounded like it was in the room and not her mind.

"Petra? Whoa, hey, are you okay?"

Despite knowing who this was, Petra quickly snatched up her sword once more before turning around towards the entrance of the treasure room, her sword raised in defense. After that, though, Petra couldn't control herself for the second time today.

~oOo~

Jesse hadn't returned with Petra yet, and it was starting to worry Lukas. Petra had seemed a little...off earlier, and he couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. Like, really wrong.

Going off in the forest near nighttime had raised red flags in Lukas' mind, but he let them go anyway. Jesse and Petra were best friends, they could use some time to actually hang out while not facing something that could kill them or get them into deep trouble. Besides, who was Lukas to tell them what they could and couldn't do?

But the hours had gone by, and neither girls had returned. They were supposed to be back at Lukas' place so they could help him get the copies of his books organized. That, and, honestly, he just really wanted to hang out with his friends. Things were always so busy, so when they were given the chance to hang out, Lukas would definitely take it.

But they weren't here. Needless to say, this worried Lukas.

Maybe they just forgot? It was unlikely, but always a possibility. So, not wasting any more time, Lukas headed out, setting his course towards the treasure room of Beacontown, a common meeting place for The Order, and specifically Jesse and Petra.

As Lukas walked, he thought about how Petra had been acting today, before she went off with Jesse. She'd been almost hostile when Lukas had mentioned his concerns about the two girls going out in the dark. Her eyes had narrowed, her tone had turned harsh, and her words not the nicest. He swore something happened to her eyes, too...and not just narrowing.

Approaching the treasure room, Lukas paused. Was that...yelling? From Petra? Worry took hold of him, and he resumed his walk, but brisker this time. Something was wrong, Lukas knew that for a fact. But he wasn't prepared for what he saw when he entered. It was something he'd desperately wished he would never see again.

Upon entering the treasure room, he saw Petra with her back to him, her head in her hands. She seemed to be in pain, which alerted Lukas. "Petra? Whoa, hey, are you okay?" He asked cautiously, slowly approaching his friend.

Her movements were quick. Almost too quick, too...smooth, and without flaw, without fumble. Petra scooped her sword up off the ground before facing Lukas, sword poised in a defensive position.

Lukas immediately raised his hands in his own defense, "Hey hey hey, easy, it's just me," he said quickly and softly, but then his eyes slowly widened.

This was what he never wanted to see or experience ever again. Petra's eyes...they went red. Almost glowing red. It reminded Lukas too much of PAMA, of when he and Petra were 'chipped'. It was one of the most horrible moments of his life. He'd almost killed Jesse... She'd refused to even fight him, and that's what hurt the most. That she would rather be killed than hurt Lukas...

"P-Petra?" Lukas asked uneasily, subconsciously taking half a step backwards.

Petra raised her sword a little, smiling and walking towards Lukas slowly, "Hello, Lukas," she said, but it...it didn't sound like her. It did, but there seemed to be another voice, another underlying tone. Petra then sighed, frowning, "Oh, it shouldn't be like this, no...! It was fine when she- I talked to Jesse!" She huffed, almost as if speaking to herself.

Lukas knew exactly whose voice that was. It was a voice he still didn't exactly trust with all of his heart.

"Wha- Harper?!"

~oOo~

Whaaat? Harper? But-but how?! Okay, but I've gotta give you guys props for thinking it was something to do with PAMA, that was great, you guys are awesome XD Until next time!