1

*If you're reading this story anywhere other than W A T T P A D, you should know it's been stolen from me and you are at risk for a malware attack. REPORT IMMEDIATELY!

Matilda Bloom stood at the back door admiring her new husband as he trimmed hydrangea shrubs in the yard. He wasn't overly tall, just about six feet, with wide shoulders and muscular arms stemmed from years of hard work. Somehow sensing her presence, Colin glanced up from the lavender blossoms and blew a quick kiss, his blacker than black hair curling around a perfect face.

A heated blush rose to her cheeks. Some found the newlyweds to be an odd pair. Matilda couldn't deny that her corpulent and homely appearance in comparison to Colin's sturdy and striking one did seem a bit mismatched, but every day he made her feel eminently beautiful, both inside and out. From the moment they'd met, he'd swept her off her feet and never shied away from declaring his adoration, using words like "alluring" and "soulmates" while discussing Matilda in the company of others.

If ever there were a man in love, it was Colin Bloom.

Matilda's mother disagreed, as mothers often do. "You've only known each other for a few short months," she'd said when Matilda announced their engagement. "He's a stranger to you!"

"I know we're in love," Matilda stubbornly insisted. "Colin promised we're going to be married. He's going to buy us a house in the country where we can grow our own vegetables and raise a small family. Where we can play all day in the sun and relax by a roaring bonfire at night. We're going to be together forever—and that, Mother, is all I need to know."

"Oh, he's going to buy you a house, is he?" Mother snorted with disapproval. "I'll believe that when I see it."

Four weeks later, at her fiancé's urgent request—he couldn't stand to be apart from her another moment longer—they married at the county courthouse, a quiet ceremony witnessed by her thin-lipped mother and Colin's only living relative, a sister just as physically dazzling as himself.

Neither guest seemed pleased.

Matilda studied her husband now, beads of sweat dotting his tanned forehead, taut muscles moving effortlessly beneath the cling of his black T-shirt, and a sudden shadow crossed her face. They'd been married exactly six weeks, and six times now she'd been inflicted with the same peculiar dream. A nightmare, really. Colin lying dead on the bathroom floor, a long shard of glass protruding from his bloodied chest. More disturbing still was the severed reflection staring back from the walnut-framed mirror—a satisfied sneer spread wide across her own face.

Matilda shuddered at the memory. She decided it best to not mention the dreaded dreams, especially to her beloved Colin. Their life was blissful and perfect, so much more than she could have ever wished for. It just wouldn't due to conjure up any bad omens. But the nightmares bothered her more than she cared to admit.

Shaking off the unease, Matilda's gaze roamed, taking in the sumptuous green acreage, the many canopies of trees, and an endless jewel-blue sky. It had always been her wish to own a secluded parcel of property, far-removed from the chaos of the only city she'd ever known. A turn of the century Colonial with a broad gambrel roof and a sprawling porch that stretched along either side of the house.

Once upon a time, she believed herself doomed to her mother's home for all eternity, but when her manuscript sold to the highest bidder, her wildest fantasies came true. The advances alone were enough to secure a comfortable future, and sales from her newly released psychological thriller were already exploding. Rumors of a movie adaptation were even beginning to circulate. Unexpected, to say the least. But her sudden success paled in comparison to meeting Colin, the great love of her life. Of course, she'd never been in love before and therefore had nothing to compare it to. But she knew their meeting had been fate.

Since her net worth far outweighed his, Colin had suggested a prenup, much to her doubting mother's surprise. But Matilda declined. She'd trusted her future husband inexplicably. As far as she was concerned, his offer was just one more way he'd proven his undying and selfless devotion.

The oven alarmed behind her, dragging Matilda from her thoughts. She rushed to remove the steaming hot contents: a deep-dish homemade chicken artichoke pizza. Lunch fit for a king, and one her hardworking husband would surely appreciate. She set the table quickly and called him in to eat.

"Good afternoon, my beauty," Colin greeted, using the pet name he'd so lovingly christened her with. No one had ever called her beautiful before. "The afternoon sunlight does wonders for your eyes. Have I ever mentioned that before? They're more magnificent than a thousand emeralds." He smoothed back a lock of her mousy brown hair and planted a kiss on her cheek.

"I think you may have mentioned it yesterday. And everyday before that." A girlish giggle escaped from her lips.

"Well, I hope you've not grown tired of hearing it, because I plan to remind you every day of your life."

Matilda's stomach did a slow somersault. Colin Bloom was like a cold treat on the Fourth of July. He quenched a thirst she hadn't even realized she'd had. A deep desire burned inside of her to understand every last thing about him: what he was like as a child; the aspirations he'd had growing up; the thoughts that flitted through his mind whenever he got that far away look.

On many occasions, when she'd tried to acquire the details of his past, he'd always shied away. Some people just didn't prefer talking about themselves. Yet she hungered for more, and knew just the person who would be able to answer her many questions.

"What do you think about inviting Savannah over for dinner?" she asked as they settled into their seats. "I'd love to get to know your sister better."

Colin paused before taking a healthy bite of his lunch. The melted white cheese stretched in long strands from the thick slice of pie to his lips. "I don't think she'd be able to make it," he said between chews. "She's awfully busy."

"Too busy to visit her only relative?"

He swallowed his bite and leaned forward in his seat, his dark chocolate eyes twinkling as they collided with hers. "To be perfectly honest, my beauty, we're not very close."

"But you're her brother." Matilda frowned. "How can she not want to see you? To see us? We're family."

A slow smile worked its way across his too-perfect face. "There, there." Colin set down his pizza and cupped a calloused hand over hers. "If it means that much to you, I'll give her a call."

Matilda nursed a long, shaky breath. "I really think you should. She's your only sibling, after all. I can make a special dinner. Her favorite meal perhaps?"

"I'm sure she'd like that very much. I'll get in touch with her soon." His eyebrows raised. "Does that please you?"

"It pleases me very much. Thank you." She stared at him through her lashes. "Your family is my family now, too. And I want my sister-in-law to feel welcome in our home."

Colin held her gaze for just a moment longer before returning to his lunch.

Thank you for stopping by to read Writer's Block! This is a very short story I wrote a few years ago and shared in the One Million Project Thriller Anthology, available now on Amazon

Thank you for stopping by to read Writer's Block! This is a very short story I wrote a few years ago and shared in the One Million Project Thriller Anthology, available now on Amazon. All proceeds, along with their two other anthologies, go directly toward cancer research.

There are six short chapters to this bite-size thriller. If you enjoy them, I hope you'll consider voting for each one. Thank you for reading!

With Love,

Darly