Chapter One

The new-moon night is warm with a crystal clear sky, allowing the stars to twinkle brightly as they please. Not a single artificial sound fills the sweet summer air, inviting the crickets to chirp freely, and the wild animals to roam in the dark woods for prey. Being generous enough to keep their distance, the howling of wolves can be heard afar, but their sharp cries are enough to remind anyone that this is their territory. But the tall trees with their thick branches and rough leaves, who have lived for ages in this ground, are permitted to rest peacefully tonight.

Sitting in a mesh fold-up chair by the crackling campfire, I roast a marshmallow, taking time to make sure every white part turns crisp and brown. My grandma smiles, admiring my dedication to perfect my fluffy, sugary treat. Small wrinkles form by her eyes and forehead, her hard-skinned cheeks high. Her shoulder-length hair is frosty white but full of volume. She stands up to add another log to the fire, making sparks fly and crackle. She is full of life despite her age. Always wanting to make me as comfortable as possible. She brings her chair over next to mine and her frail body plops down in it.

"I love you so much, pumpkin," she says glowingly. I can't help but to grin back. Her smile is so contagious, being the reason that my grandpa married her. I am about to say it back when my grandpa laughs. One of those deep-belly, genuine chuckles.

"She already knows that, woman," he says, pointing his rough finger at me, "The girl has known it since she was in her mother's womb. Isn't that right, Katrina?"

"Yes, Grandpa," I laugh because my grandpa always messes up everyone's name. My name is actually Kiara.

I take a bite of my roasted marshmallow. It is just delightful; the feeling of the toasted outer layer of the marshmallow breaking as my teeth dig in. Then the gooey part exploding a bundle of sweet flavor for my taste buds to savor.

Although Grandpa has trouble keeping up with our names, he got one thing right. Grandma has always shown her love for me every chance she gets. Grandpa loves me a lot too. I know because of his famous bear hugs. He has a big, round belly as opposed to Grandma's thin frame. One thing he doesn't have that Grandma does is hair. He is completely bald, his smooth head glimmering from the fire.

"I love you both so much," I say, relishing the perfect moment. "I don't know what I would have done after Dad died if it weren't for you two." I have always enjoyed my summer trips to my grandparents' cabin in the Raventown woods. They decided to make it their permanent dwelling since they enjoyed nature so much.

It became my escape zone after all the things I went through; Dad's sickness, his funeral, my tears, the pointless condolences. Here, I can forget all my woes and leave them to drown in the past. Everything in the Raventown woods just seems peaceful, away from the city noise and hypocritical people.

The serene feeling shatters when I hear a twig snap by the line of thick trees that are a couple of yards from where we are sitting. In any other instance, I would ignore the sound, surely thinking it was some animal, but this time a dreadful feeling floods my veins. The hairs on my neck stand up as if someone were holding a balloon behind me, and goosebumps thrill my body head-to-toe.

"Did you guys hear that?" I whisper, keeping my eyes trained on the shadows where the sound resonated from. Only the wind answers my question, the sound of burning fire-wood aiding its remark.

When I turn around, I quickly freeze, not daring to move a single muscle in my body. Grandma is smiling. It is not her usual, honey smile, but a huge crooked grin. Her eyes are wide open and completely flooded white, burning my soul.

"Grandma?" I squeal, tears threatening to spill. She stands there completely still, the ear to ear smile still plastered on her face. My insides turn into knots when I see that her grin is still growing larger and is starting to rip the skin that separates her lips and face.