Chapter 2

Goldpaw flashed glances around at the other cats, focusing on their deputy Orchidfoot. The young tortoiseshell glanced at him, granting him a friendly blink. Goldpaw nodded a tiny nod, feeling embarrassment sting his paws. He shook himself, giving his chest fur a few swift licks.
"Goldpaw!" A voice shouted. The Maine coon shook himself, suddenly realizing his friend was batting him. The tom looked at Darkpaw, his eyes narrowed.
"Didn't you hear?" The blue eyes apprentice exclaimed.
Goldpaw shook his head wearily, half expecting a patrol to be missing. He knew that the foxes were getting closer.
"We've been chosen for the gathering tonight!"Darkpaw mewed, his tail puffing with excitement. The other cat blinked, he was taken aback.
"Finally!"Goldpaw sighed.
"I can't wait!" The black furred cat was practically exploding with obvious anticipation.
"Come on, Darkpaw, we don't want to miss the group."
The two cats murmured quietly among themselves. Goldpaw lifted his head to the moon, shining bright. The light was hypnotizing him, swirling around with colors of white, yellow, cream. The colors swirled into a silver and white tom in the sky. Goldpaw bristled his fur as the cat began batting around stars. Goldpaw tried to choke out a word, trying to tell the cat to stop. The cat felt his throat closing as the the white tom looked down at him, knocking more and more stars out of the dark sky. The sky was bare, the stars had been torn out of the sky and nothing was left except for the cat.

Goldpaw felt a cold wave wash over him, then he heard several urgent muffled yowls as cats attempted to fish him out of the water. water! Goldpaw snapped out of his trance and swallowed a heap of salty tangy water. He tried to fight the current, his limbs falling weak. Goldpaw closed his eyes, He couldn't swim anymore. Even that tired him. Thoughts flashed through his mind as dark corners ebbed at his mind. He thought of his mother, father and Darkpaw. Sadness flashed all around him, then fear, then nothing. He felt the darkness pulling him deeper and deeper as he flashed in and out.

Goldpaw's eyes shot open as he felt a sharp grip on his scruff. He was taken out of the water. Goldpaw vomited what seemed like gallons of water before he shakily looked at his savior. Alarm shot through his body as he saw a twoleg looking down at him. He felt the urge in his heart to run, but his legs felt to weak to even carry him a step further. He collapsed limply on land. All thoughts of running were gone.