Chapter One

"Amara! Get up!"
Amara rolled over and threw a pillow at her elder brother Jax, who was trying in vain to make her get up.
"You're going to miss the Choosing!"
That got Amara's attention. She shot out of bed and shooed her brother out of her room. She brushed her teeth and washed her face in record time and picked out an appropriate outfit for the Choosing. It was a dark green tunic and a pair of black leggings. Amara put her fiery red hair in a side braid that kept the curly locks out of her small face. She burst out of her house, muttering a quick goodbye to her parents and her brother. She sped past villagers until she reached the village square, where important events were held, such as the annual Choosing. The Choosing was a ceremony held by Crescent Dragon Academy, and its purpose was to find teenagers with the potential to become dragon riders. Teenagers ages 15 to 16 were eligible to take part in the Choosing, where the eligible teenager touches the Crescent Stone, an enchanted moonstone that would pick only the teenagers with potential, not the ordinary. The stone would glow white if the person who touched it had potential. The Chosen would be enrolled in Crescent Dragon Academy and would be bonded with their dragon, and trained how to work with them. Amara took her place in the back of the line, because the teens were arranged in order of age and she had just turned 15 yesterday. The Academy representative stepped forward and called their names one by one.
"Damien Blackwell"
A tall black-haired boy stepped forward snottily, he extended his hand haughtily and jabbed the Crescent Stone. Nothing happened. "Wait until my father hears about this, he is going to be furious! And he's the village chief!" he screeched. He stomped of the small stage like a little brat. The Academy representative just rolled his eyes and called for the next teen.
"Laurel Mendoza"
A slender blond girl timidly stepped forward and touched the stone with a pale finger tentatively. The Stone glowed faintly, an expression of joy etched itself on her face and she ran off stage to take a seat with her hands over her mouth. The process repeated itself and in the next eighteen teens, only seven were chosen by the stone. Finally came Amara's turn.
"Amara Joyce"
Amara stepped forward and touched the Stone. For a second nothing happened, but after that, the Crescent Stone glowed brighter than ever before, and Amara walked off the stage with an enormous silly grin plastered on her face. The Academy representative put the Crescent Stone in a purple silk drawstring pouch, then put it in a small chest. "The newly chosen dragon riders will have one day to pack their personal belongings and we will send a Rider and his dragon over to pick them up." the Academy representative announced. Amara went home that day feeling giddy, there was a spring in her step when she walked home to pack and tell her parents and brother the great news. Amara's parents and brother were overjoyed by the news, and they were very proud of her. That night, Amara went to sleep knowing she would going to her new home tomorrow.After half an hour of sleeplessness, she finally drifted into a deep, refreshing sleep.