Epilogue

"My fellow Americans. As you know a terrible and unfortunate series of events has rocked the nation as of late. By my order, the United States Air Force dropped tactical nuclear weapons on the cities infected by the parasites and not only them but the cities as well. Today is a day of mourning and remembrance. We are still the United States of America. We will rebuild. We will not forget. We will get through this. Now is a time of-" The farmer turned the radio down as he went out to the field to see how Betsy was doing. The cow had just arrived in the last shipment a few days ago and wasn't healthy. It rarely ate and didn't move; it just stood in a standing position looking forward at nothing.

Farmer Douglas Dooley grabbed his forty five caliber pistol and walked to the field where the cow was seperated from the rest of the herd. He hopped into his four wheeler and drove himself to the field. The cow stood on its legs, locked into place and stared into nothing. Dooley walked to the cow, hefting his pistol as he walked around it checking for any wounds. Find none, he walked in front if the cow as it stared forward not noticing the farmer. The farner got closer to its head, checking out the head for any injuries as well but stopped himself at its eyes. The cow's eyes were grey and cloudy but the farmer saw something swim and disappear. Frowning, he loaded the pistol and shot the cow in the head, blood spurting onto himself. He wiped his face of the blood and called his farm hand to come get the cow to be taken to the farm house.

They got the cow loaded up into the tractor and took it back to the farm. Dooley and the farm hand unloaded the cow from the tractor, blood pouring over Dooley's hands, seeping into the cuts on his hands. They put the cow onto the trailer and started towards the slaughterhouse. They unloaded the cow for the final time and collected the cash they received for the cow.

The rest of the day was routine for the farmer. Feed the cows, chickens, pigs, pick peaches, mend the fence, and other chores that were apart of his day. The farmer was a hard working man and loved working with his hands. His wife had fussed at him for not taking proper care of the cuts on his hands from the prior evening but he was in a hurry and that's why he had got cut in the first place. Now if only he could do something about this itchy feeling...