Chapter 2: The first warning

"Sean! Sean!  Where are you? There's something I have to tell you. "

Tallulah rushed into her new home. It was only her first day in Giza, and the city had begun to scare and confuse her. One of her favorite writers once said that Egypt was the mother of magicians. Ancient Egyptians also believed that the extreme power that lay behind magic and occult was heka. Magic in ancient Egypt was not a parlor trick or illusion; it was the harnessing of the powers of natural laws, conceived of as supernatural entities, in order to achieve a certain goal. But all this time she thought of that as myths and legends. She didn't actually believe in magic until that day.

"What's the matter? You look like you've seen a ghost. "

"I have..... Or something like that. I don't know. I saw someone disappear into the the Great Pyramid."

Tallulah cried. She was terrified. She wanted Sean to believe but obviously he didn't. Being a man of science he needed some kind of proof. Some evidence. He wanted to believe her but he just couldn't. Maybe his sister was just going nuts. Maybe she just had a tough day. Maybe she was just hallucinating. After all these kind of hallucinations usually occur just before falling asleep and it was late at night.

"Tallulah, calm down. The heat is getting to your head. You were probably just hallucinating ". Sean replied.

Now Tallulah didn't know what to do. The only person she could trust with that kind of information wouldn't believe her. Sean had always been her shoulder to cry on. He'd always be there for her. He always knew just what to say and do in all kinds of situations. Helping Tallulah sneak out, getting her out of trouble and taking the blame for her were only a few things he did for her. But now for some reason he didn't believe her.

"If I tell anyone else about it, they'll think I'm crazy. I guess I'm on my own".

She said to herself and laid down in her bed. She couldn't stop thinking about the mysterious man in the hood. Who was he? What was his purpose? And why did he run away when he saw Tallulah. Maybe he was hiding something. She wasn't really sure. She knew that the truth was closer than she thought. It was probably in plain sight. Maybe it had something to do with the strange prophecy the old lady uttered. Or maybe Sean was right. It could've been just an illusion. But like Jeri Castronova she needed to know what was true.
Next morning at breakfast, Madame Mississippi made the family an amazing breakfast. The house was kind of ancient and the styling was slightly southern. It was an interesting mix of a few cultures. The morning sky in Giza was something different. It was pure of the adversities of New York. The crackling sounds of eggs and bacon, the smell of toast and pancakes, the sweet sun rays creeping inside the room gave the place a warm and fuzzy feeling. It felt like home.

"You sure are a gifted cook".

Carrie praised the hardworking lady. Carrie herself was a wonderful cook. Her turkey wraps were famous all over New York. Her cooking made the holidays special at the Carano house hold. Every year on thanksgiving she would make the most delicious supper and dinner. The menu would range from Creamy Feta Stuffed Peppers, Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes to her special Ranch-Seasoned Roast Turkey.  Tallulah's favorite was the Sausage Gravy. It was like heaven for her mouth. Desserts were also a hit at the house. Chocolate Brown Sugar Butter Cake with Spiced Pumpkin Frosting and Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Fudge Pie were the best desserts carrie made.

"Where's Tallulah?" Bella asked her step mum.

"She went to the excavation site with Blake".

"To the excavation site you say? Last night she told me a strange story about that. I told her that she was only imagining things. She probably wants to prove me wrong. " Sean added.

"Honestly that girl. Sean sweetie, could you please keep an eye on your sister? I don't want her to get in trouble here."

"Yeah, sure. I don't have anything better to do ".

Carrie smiled. Sean and Tallulah always came around for each other. They both connected right away when they first met. They'd always be found hanging out together. It was a beautiful brother sister bond. Whenever Tallulah and Bella fought, Sean would always side with Tallulah.  Their bond was unbreakable. After clearing up the table,  the family was off to their individual routines. As he walked through the streets of Giza he saw the beautiful city sparkling in the rays of the sun. He had to admit it- Giza was the prettiest place he'd been to despite its harsh weather. He wanted to stay and explore the city but right now he haf more important things to do. He had to make sure his little sister was still okay- we'll at alive and in one piece.

"There you are! I've been looking all over the excavation site."

"Ahh, so you finally believe me?" Tallulah gave her brother the look.

She was actually waiting for him to show up. She knew that sooner or later he'd come looking for her. It was an amusing kind of relationship. He'd always refuse to join her at first, but then he'd join her mysteries just for the heck of it.

"Where's dad? "
Sean asked his sister in confusion.

"With his colleagues. So what brings you here? Curiosity? "

"No! Mum asked me to keep an eye on you and that's exactly what I'll be doing."

"Okay, I guess I can let you tag along".

Sean followed his sister towards the scene of the crime. It was far from normal. On a sunny day in Giza, that place was oddly dark and gothic. There was definitely a strange atmosphere. It was exactly what would keep two brats away from the lair of an evil villain but these brats weren't going to give up just because the surroundings were creepy.

"See. I told you there was something off about this place. "

"Well you're right about it being creepy. But why is only this particular area strange? "

Tallulah and sean looked around the tents. The whole project of that part of the pyramid seemed abandoned. There wasn't a person in sight. It was odd. The whistling wind made it more uncomfortable than it already was.

"Let's keep looking, maybe we'll find something. "

Tallulah wasn't gonna leave without an answer. She was persistent. But she didn't know what she was up against. It was something beyond what two teenagers could handle. Now the sunny sky was darkening. It looked like a storm was approaching. The clouds started thundering and the wind got colder than it was before. It was like midnight on Halloween. The lightening made the whole place creepier. Apparently it was the darker side of Giza. And then a dark figure suddenly appeared before them. Now it definitely was like Halloween.

"STAY AWAY OR YOU SHALL PAY!!! " he snapped.

It was the dark hooded figure. And this time it looked like he was going to kill them. It was dark and all they could see were two red eyes from under his hood. He was furious. Sean and Tallulah screamed and ran as fast as their feet could carry them. It was a like a race but their lives depended on it. The sand made it harder for them to run. But fear of the hooded figure gave them motivation. They stopped by a tent where it felt safe.

"Believe me now?!!! "

"Yeah, now I know that its not just your imagination. What was that?"

Their heart rate was off the charts. Then it started raining. The storm hit Giza hard. The rain came down like bullets. Everyone at the site started scattering and running to shelters and their homes. It was only noon and it looked like the dead of night. Something was off about the weather. Did it have anything to do with the hooded guy? Or was it something bigger?

"I don't know, but I intend to find out and you're going to help me. "

"No absolutely not. I rather not know what THAT was. Besides the storm is coming down really hard, we should get to shelter before we get killed. Mum's probably worried about you "

"Fine! I hate it when you're right. But promise me you'll help me sean."

It took a lot of begging and pleading but after some coupons for chores, sean was finally convinced. Now the investigation began.