Malachite

As the weeks went on, you found yourself waking in a cold sweat.

You had convinced yourself it had been a series of recurring nightmares, but they seemed almost too real to be imaginary. Your subconscious was plagued by visions of a man although it seemed more monster than anything, tall and red with sharp armour coating its body.

It wasn't like the power rangers that had saved Angel Grove only months ago, this creature was undeniably evil.

The latter half of the dreams were always the same. It was as if you were a corpse, mindlessly wandering the mines, always dark and cold.

When you awoke, it always felt as if all the energy in your body had been completely drained. Leaving you with dark bags under your tired eyes, your cheeks hollow.

The hot water from the shower cleansed your body, burning away the unease you felt from the frightening images from your slumber.

Your cold hands crossed your chest as you held onto your shoulders, swaying under the stream of water. It was a poor attempt at comfort yourself from the inescapable destiny that had been thrust upon you.

Thick, black mud spurted from the drain, bubbling at your toes. It was unnoticeable at first, but as the tub began to fill with water, reaching your calves, it was only then you realized the drain had clogged.

"Shit," you grumbled, kicking your feet around in the dirty water. Thinking nothing of it, you assumed that perhaps the pipes had become backed up by the recent storm.

***

Billy Cranston sat alone at the cafeteria table, quietly working on his science papers whilst chewing on a chocolate bar. He hadn't noticed your presence as you hadn't made a sound in the last five minutes, and when he did he jumped nearly five feet into the air.

"Sorry." you apologized, your brows tilted upward in a sympathetic manner. "You were so in the zone that I didn't know how to get your attention."

He shook his head in disbelief, unable to grasp the concept of you actually speaking to him as it had been so long.

"Oh, no that's okay." he stammered, swallowing the piece of chocolate that he had nearly choked on. "Did you uh-need something?"

Not much had changed between either one of you, except maybe your features that had matured since the age of thirteen. Your fathers had been coworkers, leading you and Billy to one another, quickly becoming best friends. The two of you spent countless summer days exploring the valleys of the mines, collecting rocks and what you had been convinced were fossils.

"Billy, I'm so sorry that I pushed you away during freshman year. It's just I was going through a lot, you know with the anxiety and everything. I went to a really dark place-emotionally- and I just had to be-I thought I needed to be alone." You admitted as you began to choke up. "But you needed me. You couldn't stand up for yourself-I mean neither could I-but I should've been there and I'm so sorry."

Where your cheeks were once full, they had now become hollow as the tired bags under your eyes nearly reached the apples of your cheeks.

"I know you probably don't want to hang out with me anymore, and I understand, I mean you have new friends now...but I just-I just really need a friend right now." Letting out a shaky breath, you looked up at Billy with glassy eyes.

"Hey, it's all good. It's water under the bridge." He smiled, slightly uncomfortable as he wasn't sure what to do.

"I'm sorry, I just think there's something wrong-" Your confession was interrupted by Jason Scott taking a seat next to Billy, followed by the rest of his new found friends.