9 years before

15 year old me

15 year old me. 16 year old Hoseok.

"Nozomi Tsumita, you're late! We were supposed to start our duet practice an hour ago, what gives?" Hoseok exclaimed. One look at my best friend and fresh tears returned to my eyes. His demeanor completely switched lanes as he walked over and enveloped me in a tight hug. I let out loud sobs into his chest, ugly crying shamelessly. Hoseok gently caressed my hair, holding me tightly and firmly to him. "Oh, Zomi. What's wrong?" He asked softly. I sniffled and pulled away from his chest, my eyes red and still watery.

"Yoongi...he broke up with me." I choked out through the lump in my throat. For the first time I had ever really seen, anger flashed in Hobi's eyes. Sure, I'd seen him annoyed when he got a bad grade, or frustrated when he couldn't pick up choreography, but never like this. Never genuinely pissed off.

"I'm gonna kick his ass." He said. I stopped him with my hands on his shoulders.

"Hobi, no." I said, my voice hoarse from crying. His angry features softened. "I need you here. Not beating up Min Yoongi." Hobi managed a small smile, taking my hands off his shoulders and intertwining our fingers.

"You're right. That's what Kito is for." Hoseok informed me matter-of-factly, and I managed a laugh. He squeezed my small hands gently in his larger ones. "C'mon. Let's dance it out." He said. That was another thing Hoseok and I did. We would use some of our earnings from street performing to rent out the studio for a night and have a mini dance party. Sometimes we would choreograph, sometimes we wouldn't. Sometimes we would just jump around looking like idiots who had never taken a class in their lives, and sometimes I would give Hoseok an impromptu ballet class. What we were supposed to be doing tonight was choreographing a contemporary-hip hop fusion piece for the upcoming recital, but Hoseok delegated that to the back burner.

Hoseok had the AUX cord, so he played some of his favorite "classics," as he fondly called them. We goofily danced around to Gold Digger by Kanye West. Hoseok did his best impression of a girl group during Wannabe by the Spice Girls and Say My Name by Destiny's Child. He even pretended to give me strip tease during SexyBack by Justin Timberlake. By the end of our little dance party, we were sweaty and tired, lying on the studio floor to catch our breaths. My tears of sadness had turned to tears of laughter, and I wiped my eyes as the remnants of giggles left my lips. Hoseok's bright smile lit up the whole room, and his infectious laugh only made me laugh harder. We laid there for another five minutes just laughing at each other's laughs. If anyone would have walked in, they would have thought us to be psychotic, but we didn't care.

"I have something to tell you." Hoseok blurted once we finally calmed down. I rolled onto my side to look at him as he laid on his back. Hints of a smile played on his lips.

"Go for it." I smiled. He opened his mouth to speak, but stopped, shaking his head.

"No, never mind. It's not important right now." He said, looking over at me. I rolled my eyes and scooted closer, resting my hand on his shoulder.