8.5 years before

"I cannot believe they cut you. After so many auditions, too? They're so stupid, holy shit." I said. I was gesturing violently with my green tea ice cream cone as Hoseok and I sat in our favorite booth in the little ice cream shop in Seoul. Hoseok glumly licked his honey avacado ice cream that Mr. Bang whipped up especially for him. I could tell he wasn't really enjoying it, and I could tell he was upset behind his small smile, but he would never admit it. JYP had cut him after his 19th audition because of his looks. His. Looks. I was ready to throw hands.

"It's okay, Zomi." He said softly, grabbing my wrist before I could launch the green tea scoop off the cone with my frantic waving. I scowled and took a lick of my favorite flavor.

"No, it's not, Hobi. You're so talented, and you're crazy handsome, too. They're delusional if they can't see that." I exclaimed. Hobi offered half a smile and continued to eat his ice cream.

"I don't know. You should have seen some of those guys. They looked like they were hand chiseled by God." He said with a scoff. I rolled my eyes. I had been cut after the first round of auditions for JYP, and in Hoseok's mind, the guys there were better than him. In actuality, I had seen these guys, and they really weren't all Hoseok cracked them up to be. "And they could sing, rap, and dance. I had no chance. I was beat before I even started." I slammed my hand on the table, which startled him sufficiently.

"Listen here and listen good, Jung Hoseok." I told him. He swallowed loudly in surprise and did as told. I rarely got this fired up, but when I did, anyone who knew me well knew to listen. "You are such a talent. You are unlike anyone I've ever met, in the best way possible. And if these crazy, egotistical, huge ass company bigwigs can't see the pure magic right in front of their eyes, then it is their loss. You're gonna go on to do great things, and so many other opportunities are gonna walk right up to you. You just have to be patient, and believe in yourself. Got it?" Hoseok was smiling now, his bright white teeth taking up a decent portion of his face.

"Ha. You said 'bigwigs.'" He snickered, and I rolled my eyes. A laugh left my lips anyway as we continued to eat our ice cream cones.

"You're actually seven years old." I scoffed, and he chuckled. Our playful atmosphere took a sharp turn when a man dressed in a formal suit approached us, along with Mr. Bang.

"Hi, kids. I'd like to introduce you to my son, Bang Si Hyuk." Mr. Bang told us. Hoseok waved sweetly, and I smiled shyly in greeting.

"Which one of you is Jung Hoseok?" Mr. Bang's son asked. My eyes widened, and Hoseok did a double take as his mouth was on the way to take another lick of his ice cream cone. The greenish colored ice cream made a moustache on his top lip, and I kicked his shin under the table. He let out a soft grunt of pain and gave me a look, to which I touched my top lip. Hoseok smoothly licked the ice cream off his upper lip and turned back to Mr. Bang's son. And by smoothly, I mean not smoothly at all.

"Um, hi, that's me, sir. I'm Jung Hoseok." Hoseok bowed politely, the shyest I had ever seen him. Bang Si Hyuk gave Mr. Bang an unsure look.

"Give him a chance. The boy has something special." Mr. Bang reassured him, and his son sighed.

"Hoseok, I'm the CEO of a company. A talent agency called BigHit Entertainment. And I'm looking for talented young people to join a hip hop idol group. My father has told me some very impressive things about you, and if all he's saying is true, I'd love to recruit you to become a trainee." Bang Si Hyuk said. Hoseok was gaping at the man, and excitement for my best friend bloomed in my chest. I kicked Hoseok under the table again when he continued to stare silently at the man. This snapped him out of his shock and he nodded vigorously. I cringed and put my face in my hands, he was such a spaz.

"I'd be honored, sir." Hoseok stammered out. Bang Si Hyuk looked at him skeptically. He was probably wondering how this hyperactive, awkward teenager would be good at performing. "What do I have to do?" He asked.

"Well, I have to see your...talent for myself before I can give you a formal audition." He said. Hoseok gulped nervously.

"Here? Now?" He asked.

"Here and now. Do you have anything prepared?" Mr. Bang's son asked.

"No—"

"Yes! Yes, he does." I interrupted Hoseok, jumping up and pulling him out of the booth with me. He fumbled for our speaker and hat we used to collect money. "Right this way, Mr. Bang...s." I called over my shoulder, dragging Hoseok out the door and into the street.

"Nozomi, what are you doing? I don't have anything prepared!" He whispered, his usual smile replaced by fear. He was nervous, but there was no way I was letting him pass up this opportunity.

"You don't need anything prepared, Hobi, just do what you always do. Freestyle." I told him. He gaped at me.

"Zomi, I can't! This is way more high-pressure than just street performing!" He whisper shouted at me, glancing at Mr. Bang and his son nervously. "If I screw this up, oh my god—"

"Hobi, get a grip, man!" I cut him off with my hands on his shoulders. "Remember when I told you an opportunity would come to you? Well, looks like you didn't have to wait very long. You've got this Hobi. Just remember: believe in yourself. Hell, believe in yourself just half as much as I believe in you, and you'll be great. Okay?" I gave him a quick pep talk. I could practically see the determination glint in his eyes as he nodded.

"Yeah, okay. Alright, let's do this." He said, and before I could say anything else, he walked away, stretching his arms.

I glanced over at the Mr. Bangs. They weren't prepared for how blown away they would be. Offering my best friend a reassuring smile, I pressed play.