PART IV: EVELYN

VII: fire

I take out my bag from Ashley's car and hand both her and Andrew's phone back. I take my phone just in case we need it, which I don't think we will. Jason's going to let me drive his car since I begged him to but we're just driving the car to Evelyn's house so I don't get to enjoy it much. We drive through the dirt roads that connect all this town together and finally we're on the road leading to Evelyn's house. I cant wait to see her so I can rip that hair out of her fucking head. I can't keep my calm at all but we finally reach her house. It's dark and then I start to shiver just like when I was going to see Jason. I'm scared of what Evelyn's capable of right now but honestly that's just my mind jumping to dark places. My mind always does. I park down the street. Jason and I get out of the car to walk to her door. My mind has a million thoughts changing per second but it finally stops, I just want to get to the bottom of this and make it stop. I knock the door but no one answers for a few minutes. I turn the knob and it's unlocked. I look over at Jason and he shrugs. We walk into the house and the lights are all off. No one's home. Maybe she's upstairs. We slowly walk upstairs and reach her room. Inside there's her computer on and it has this page up on it. It's like a web of connected signals and my name's on there, so is Jason's and the rest of us. This page is how she's been tracking us. She's onto us. We look around the room for more clues but we cant find anything. Outside, we hear a car start and when I turn to look out the window, it's Evelyn driving her car. Fuck. Jason and I run out of the house and get into his car. I shove the keys in to start the car and we start driving behind Evelyn's car. The dirt road blasting sand and dirt all around us. Evelyn's car is still right in front of us. She gets into the center of town and passes right through a red light. My energy level rises and I rush right past the red light. Not caring about anything in sight, all I see is Evelyn's car. I'm only focused on her car. She starts down the road at enormous speed and I accelerate mine. We race into a road where there's no house nor people. It's purely empty and just road that twists and turns. I speed up, faster and faster, feeling the pressure. Jason starts yelling for me to go slower and then Evelyn takes a sharp turn, on purpose, and I lose control of the car. I see everything happen so slow, the car tilts to the side after I try to turn but then it tilts too much and flips. The first impact hit hard, on Jason's side. The car flips again, glass shattering everywhere and metal screeching. The car flips a third time, on my side and I feel the glass cutting into my skin. We're rolling down a ditch and after several violent, painful flips, the car lands on Jason's side and stays still. The pain shoots through my head. I start to cry. The car, I just fucking damaged Jason's car. I look over to look at him and he grunts in pain. He's still breathing but in a lot of pain. He can't get out of that side, he's trapped in. I undo my seatbelt and kick open the door to the car. Sliding myself out, I tell Jason that I'm going to get help and to stay there. I look for places where I can help Jason get out of the car but the car is so crushed. It would be impossible for me alone to get him out. I start limping out of the ditch and scream for help. My legs give in and I fall to the floor, crawling, still screaming. I finally pause and reach into my pocket for my phone. I dial 9-1-1.

"This is 9-1-1, what's your emergency?"

"I was just in an accident. Please, my friend is trapped in the car."

"This is officer Amber speaking. Ok, ma'am where are you?"

"I don't know."

I look at my phone and see the shatter screen with pieces of glass fallen out. I hope that they'll be able to track my phone. I look back at the car and see Evelyn pouring gasoline on Jason's mustang. No.

"Evelyn. Please, no what are you doing?"

"Jane, Jane, Jane. Do you think I'll leave you two here alive? I'll make it seem like the car crashed and exploded and then I'll kill you too, throw you in the fire as well. No one will know how happy it's going to be to tear your lives apart. Jason and Ashley will know not to say anything because they'll be next."

"Why are you doing this?" I ask, crying.

"Because you all had better things than me. You guys think that I'm nothing. You replaced me for Ashely. You replaced me for Jason. You replaced me for Andrew. I was your best friend. I'm supposed to be the only one you're there for."

"That's not how life works, Evelyn. Please. We can all be friends."

"I don't think so honeybun," Evelyn says this as she strikes a match and steps away from the car. I try to stand up but my leg won't let me walk at all. She flick the match onto the car and a flame erupts high into the night sky. I hear Jason scream and scream and I lay there, crying in the grass. Unable to move my fucking leg. His screams intensifies as the fire grows taller and taller. I can feel it burning the hairs on my skin and I start to panic. I crawl away from the car father and father away. When I reach the top of the ditch, the car explodes. The explosion leaves a ringing sensation in my ears and my body goes completely numb. Jason stops screaming. I freeze. Evelyn just killed Jason.

I manage to regain strength in my leg and finally start to walk. Evelyn sees this and smiles.

"Where'd you think you're going bitch?"

I ignore her and a stream of tears falls down my eyes. This has to be a nightmare. This is all my fault. I'm so numb that I can't see, I can't smell, I can't hear. All my senses feel like they have been lost and all I feel psychically is pain. I can start to hear the sirens come closer and I book it, running. My leg rushes with pain and I feel like it might break any second if it's not broken already but I still continue to run. Evelyn starts chasing after me but I'm farther away from her. She was rummaging around in her car looking for something and I'm in the middle of a grass field next to the road. I'm running towards the sounds of the sirens and I finally see the police car lights.

"Help!" I scream with what's left of my voice.

A police car finally approaches me and the officer steps out of his car.

"Officer, help," I run to him and wrap my arms around him. I tell him what Evelyn did and quickly explain the situation.

"You're safe now," he says and calls for backup. The other office runs to Evelyn and drags her to the ground. She starts screaming hysterically and fights with the officer. He pins her to the ground and puts her in hand cuffs.

She's finally being arrested and I'm going to go finally tell the cops everything she's done. The police officer takes me to the back of the cop car. Tears are still streaming down my face and I can't process anything of what just happened.

Andrew rings my phone but I don't answer. I can't talk. My ears are still ringing loudly from the explosion and I can still hear Jason's screams coming from the car. My inability to help him.

Jason didn't deserve this. There is no words in this world to describe how lost, how pathetic, how sad I'm feeling. I feel like my heart has just been ripped out of my chest and stomped on a thousand times. Evelyn got what her fucking demented head wanted but I'm going to watch, and enjoy watching, Evelyn rot in jail for what she did. She doesn't deserve anything. She doesn't even deserve to be alive.