Chapter Seven: The Address Home

Later that night

We were all sitting around a fire with the people of the planet, who were laughing and eating. Daniel and I thought the food looked good, but the rest of the team didn't seem to think so and stared at the food skeptically. Daniel was the first to reach out and grab a piece of flat bread. He sniffed it then took a small bite.

"Hey Jackson, I don't think we should eat any food here," Kawalsky stated, shaking his head.

I rolled my eyes at that and grabbed a piece of flat bread for myself.

"I dunno, they might consider that an insult," Daniel replied.

Suddenly a new platter was set in front of us and there was some sort of armored-skinned creature sitting on the platter. It looks like a freaken large armadillo. I could hear Kawalsky laughing.

"Well, we don't want to offend them now do we Daniel?" Kawalsky asked sarcastically.

I snickered as Daniel reached forward and grabbed a piece of meat out from the center of the animal hide, sniffed it like he did the flat bread, then took a bite.

"Tastes like chicken... Tastes like chicken it's good," Daniel exclaimed, laughing.

I reached out and picked up a piece of meat from the armadillo creature, and took a bite. Wow, he's right, it does taste like chicken! Kasuf smiled, and Daniel turned to him.

"Tastes... like..." I could see Daniel trying to figure out what to say to make the man understand, "Bawk-bawk-bawk-bawk-bawk-bawk-bawk," Daniel imitated a chicken causing the team, some of the people around us, and myself to laugh.

"Tastes like chicken, good!" Daniel exclaimed again.

Kasuf smiled and laughed. The boy who'd I'd recently learned was named Skaara sat down next to me.

"Jackson, Anderson, you said that was an Egyptian symbol," Jack stated.

"Yeah, the Eye of Ra," Daniel replied.

"Would you say then that it might stand to reason that if they know one Egyptian symbol," Jack said, gesturing towards Kasuf.

"Yes," Daniel exclaimed, standing up.

He walked over to Kasuf who held out a bowl in offering, but Daniel denied it. He reached under his shirt and pulled out the necklace and showed it to Kasuf, who then bent his arms and started muttering something.

"No-no," Daniel replied.

He pointed to the necklace, then reached down to the sand to draw something. Kasuf's eyes went wide at this, and he quickly stood up and started speaking rapidly to the crowd of people. We've got to find a way to properly communicate with these people!

"What the hell's going on?" Kawalsky asked.

"It seems like writing is forbidden," Daniel answered surprised.

Forbidden? Who the hell forbid these people from writing? And why would anyone forbid them from writing in the first place? I was brought out of my musing when several women walk over to Daniel and herded him away from the crowd.

"What? What? Uh-heh, uh.... They want me to go with them, should I stay?! I'll go with them, I'll be fine," Daniel exclaimed, letting the woman herd him away.

I smirked, and shook my head. Hopefully he'll get to spend some time with that girl who seemed to like him. I glanced over at Skaara who smiled at me, and gave him a shy smile back.