The Accident: Chapter 2

"GET THAT BOY!!" 

Dax laughed, shoving his shaggy brown hair out of his eyes. He mentally reminded himself that he needed to cut it. The main light flickered for a second, but filled the cavern easily. Dax peeked over his shoulder and could see about a dozen of mutilated green bodies dashing after him. 

Dax kept running. He ran past broken houses and cars and various other things that they decided to keep. He didn't even have to look up to see the White Suits shuffling along, hardly bothering to look down anymore. Dax had figured that they had given up on finding a cure so they just threw everything that had been infected here, leaving it to either die or rot. At least at first they had good intentions, but now it seems that Dax will live the rest of his days with the mutants.

When he had first been thrown into the pit, there had been bodies littering the ground, but no crows to eat them. Day by day, White Suits would pick up a few corpses and take them way. Dax had never given them too much of a thought. The corpses must have been dissected or something. 

The mutants were starting to catch up, but Dax knew how to lose them. Dashing around a corner, he slipped underneath a nearby car and held his breath. Dax waited until the sound of the mutants footsteps couldn't be heard anymore. Then, wriggling out from underneath, he started for home.

Angling towards one of the few standing buildings left, Dax decided to stock up first. The building was only about two or three stories tall, and could be seen just about everywhere in the Dump Site. Pushing the doors open, the cool air conditioning hit him. This was the only building in the pit that was kept running. Day after day, White Suits kept the shelves full of food and water and other materials that Dax -or the mutants- might ever need. 

Dax grabbed a new blanket and a jug of water. He figured that he had enough crackers and things to get him through the night. After all it was the first night of the month, which meant it was the longest, the darkest and the dangerous. 

~~~

Dax wrapped the jug of water in the blanket and tied it around his back. He began scaling the rock until he reached a little platform. He scooted himself over to a three foot tall hole and wriggled inside. A single light bulb lit up the extent of the room. The cave stretched a little over 6 feet tall and just tall enough for Dax to stand straight up.

Dax set his new jug of water on a shelf and threw the blanket onto the growing pile. He pulled his shirt off of his back and threw it onto a pile of clothes, making a mental note to get them washed. The solitary lightbulb flickered dim for a second and Dax knew Lights Out was coming. 

He poked his head through the hole and watched as light by light, the Pit was turned to darkness.

~~~~~

Haha so revised chapter 2 is done!! :)