Part 6 Formatting the script

Set your page size

Set your page size. Screenplays are written on 8 ½" x 11" paper, typically 3-hole punched. Top and bottom margins are set between .5" and 1". The left margin is set to 1.2"-1.6" and the right margin is set between .5" and 1".

Page numbers go in the top right corner. The title page does not get numbered.

Set your font

Set your font.
Screenplays are written in Courier 12 point font. This is mainly because of timing. One script page in Courier 12 is roughly one minute of screen time.

Format your script elements

Format your script elements. There are several different parts of the script that require specific formatting so that they conform to industry standards:

Scene Heading: This is also called a "slug line." It sets the stage for the reader by describing the location. The scene heading is written in all caps. First, denote whether it is an interior or exterior scene by writing "INT." or "EXT." Then, follow that with the location, then the time of day. Never end a page with a scene heading, push it down to the next page.Action: This is the descriptive text of the screenplay. Write in the present tense and an active voice. Keep the paragraphs short to hold the reader's attention. A good paragraph size is 3-5 lines.Character Name: Before dialogue starts, the character speaking is typed out in all caps and indented 3.5" from the left margin. The name can either be the character's actual name, a description if the character is not named in the movie, or by occupation. If the character is speaking off screen, then "(O.S.)" is written next to the character name. If the character is narrating, "(V.O.)" for voice-over is written next to the name.Dialogue: When a character is speaking, the dialogue is indented 2.5" from the left margin, and between 2-2.5" from the right. The dialogue goes directly beneath the character's name.