Chapter 11

* * *

Have you ever felt as if life were passing by without you? It just leaves you behind. It doesn't give two shits about you being in sync with it. And even though you can't keep up with it, you realize it still functions perfectly without you.

That's when you comprehend how minuscule and incidental we actually are.

My father always used to say that.

How tiny we are, that we are no more than souls on a passenger body visiting this world. That we shouldn't take anything for granted, because it is the cycle of life. We exist, we experience, and then we are gone. We don't really matter.

Funny thing is, I don't think he ever realized how wrong he was. He was far from incidental in my life, he was the complete opposite.

"Surgeons need all the information they can get. So we ask questions. I'm guessing you know what they are, the six most important?" Vennberg snatched me out of my daydreaming. I truly didn't know if he was doing all this because he thought I was intelligent or because I happened to be Elizabeth Knox's daughter.

I couldn't complain anyway.

"Uh," I hesitated for a bit. I did know them, I used to always hear my mom ask them when I came to work with her. "When did the pain begin? Have you experienced these symptoms before? Do you have a family history? Have you recently undergone surgery? Are there any known allergies?" I paused, frowning. "Are there really six? I can't remember the last one."