Chapter 2

July 1st- Opening night

"We did it!" She squealed. I laughed at Dez's adorable reaction. 

"One night done! 6 more to go!" We had just ended opening night, and Dez was dragging me everywhere to meet up with her friends who came to watch. She was glowing, I could tell her love for acting had been part of her for a very long time. 

"Mom!" She shrieked and ran to a woman with matching hair, and almost the same eyes, but much older. "Ryan, Mom. Mom, Ryan." I shook hands with Dez's Mom. Smiling politely. 

"Pleasure!" I said dramatically, earning a laugh and a smile from both. 

"Thanks for attempting the hammer method." Her mom winked nudging my arm. "Its about time someone tried to knock some sense into her!" Dez folded her arms in mock annoyance. But ended up laughing. I laughed along.

"Well, you know how SHE is." I grinned. Dez's Mom began laughing again. 

"I like this kid!" She shared a knowing look with Dez "You thinking what I'm thinking?" Dez laughed and nodded. 

"What?" I said curiously.

"Do you like fireworks?" 

~

"Thanks a bunch for inviting me." I said graciously. Dez and her family hosted a 4th of July party every year. They had picked me up and we were heading back to their place now. Apprently the whole neighborhood came...Including Trace. Oh joy. 

Their yard was huge with a giant tree in the middle. Lanterns hung all over and people milled around eating chips and laughing. Dez dragged me to a corner where two girls were arguing over some boy band. 

"Allysa! Emily!" Dez called. They were identical twins. No question. Bouncy blond hair and blue eyes. They were cute, but too generic for my liking. 

"Dez!" The screamed and tackled her with hugs. They were a little older then us, maybe a year or two. But the three were quite obviously close. 

"This is Ryan." Dez said gesturing to me, the girls waved and I waved back. 

"Hey guys!" 

Really?

"Hey Trace!" The girls said.

"Ryan, this is our little brother Trace." The twins said.

"We know eachother." Trace said flatly. There was a moment of silence.

"I'm gonna go get some food! Nice to meet you girls! See ya later!" I began walking through the crowds of people.

By the time I found the food table and had piled up some good stuff Dez had disappeared. I checked by the twins but no one knew where she was. 

"Excuse me" I said to a man by the fireworks. "Have you seen Dez?" He looked related to her, they had the same eyes. He was guarding the firework table fiercly. I wonder what happeed last year to bring that on...

"Hmmm...Check by the twins." He said. "By the way, have you seen the sparklers? I had a full pack of 20 boxes right here!" 

"No sorry..."

Well that was helpful.  

I finally gave up looking and went for a quick walk down through the streetlights, away from people. I squinted and saw a small flickering light in the shadows nearby. 

I got closer to see Dez holding a sparkler. 

"Hey..."

She let out a small squeal then glared at me. "Don't do that!"

I sat down by her. "Are they looking for me yet?" She asked hopefully.

I shook my head. "No...Just me." 

"Oh..." She bit her lip, but shook off her disappointment quickly. "Want a sparkler?"

I looked around her, A giant pack of sparklers. 

"How did you swipe that?" I asked, she smiled mischivieously.

"I have my ways. They always add more "guards" every year but that makes it more fun. The sparklers disapper no matter what." She winked. Smart girl.

We sat there for a few minutes, drawing shapes with the sparklers just enjoying the company.

"Dez?"

"Hm?"

"Why do you want them to look for you?" I asked.

 "Well...I come out here every year to slip away. All the people can be suffocating."  I nodded. "It takes them a long time to realize I'm gone. Sometimes all night. I like being able to disappear and no one will be worried but...I guess I just feel so..." She trailed off. 

"Unnoticed?" I finished. She nodded. She always stuck out to me, but I guess I could see how she would meld into a crowd and become a wallflower.

"I noticed." I whispered quietly. Dez scooted closer by me and layed her head on my shoulder.

"I know."