Chapter Two

Nadia followed the Blakeneys all the way to a grand, foreboding countryside mansion. She kept her distance, but it didn't escape her notice that Lady Blakeney looked unhappy to be there as she descended from the carriage and followed her husband inside.

 Nadia waited an hour before doing anything else. While she waited, she sat down to think. Lady Lillian Blakeney was clearly unhappy in her marriage. Of course, she would have to pretend she was happy when they were out in society, but out here in the country she didn't have to pretend to be anything when she was alone.

 When an hour had passed, Nadia walked up to the house and pounded her fist on the front door. Despite the enormous size of the house, someone was bound to hear it.

 Her knocking was answered by a middle-aged man with a well-pressed suit and graying hair.

 "Good afternoon," he said in a mild, polite tone. "May I help you?"

 "I am here to see Sir Stuart Blakeney," she said, standing a little straighter. "I know he has just recently arrived, and this is a matter of the utmost importance."

 "I am sorry, miss. Sir Stuart has only just arrived today, and he and Lady Blakeney will not be receiving any visitors until tomorrow."

 "Well, what if it can't wait until tomorrow?" she demanded. "This is an incredibly urgent matter, and I must see Sir Stuart at once. Now, will you let me in or not?"

 The man stood silently for a moment. But then he stepped aside and said, "Come inside. I will ask Sir Stuart if he will see you."

 "Thank you," Nadia said, stepping inside, pretending to be greatly relieved. "I am sure Sir Stuart will want to see me."

 "Here." The man, whom she had guessed by now was the butler, led her into the parlor. "What name shall I give him?"

 "Tell him it is a Ms. Nadia Petrova," she answered, taking a seat.

 Once the butler had left, she smiled to herself. This was going very well so far. Now, she just had to get Sir Stuart in the same room as her, preferably alone. 

 She waited. From a different part of the house, somewhere upstairs, she heard a man shouting. She assumed the butler had told Sir Stuart he had a visitor.

 "Ms. Petrova?"

 Nadia's smile faded, and she turned around in her chair. Lady Lillian Blakeney was staring at her from the doorway, with a large amount of surprise on her face.

 "Lady Blakeney." Nadia quickly stood and curtsied. "Lovely to see you again, my lady. I was expecting to see Sir Stuart."

 "I know. We were told we had a visitor. May I ask why you are here, Ms. Petrova? You were in London only just last night."

 "I had meant to come out to Suffolk today. What a coincidence it was that you live here. You have a beautiful home, my lady."

 "What is this?" Sir Stuart came bounding into the room. "Ms. Petrova, you say you are? Do I know you?"

 "Yes, you do," Nadia answered. "We saw each other last night at a party in London."

 "Did we?" He sighed. "Yes, perhaps we did. Lillian, leave us."

 His wife hesitated to leave the room. When he saw, he snapped, "I said, leave us!"

 Lady Blakeney lowered her head and quickly went down the corridor. 

 "Now, Ms. Petrova," said Sir Stuart, "How do we know each other?"

 "I am a cousin of yours," she replied, "Come all the way from Bulgaria."

 He scoffed. "That's absurd. I don't have a cousin from Bulgaria. Now, please leave before I have you thrown out of the house."

 "I cannot do that, Sir Stuart." Nadia stepped up to him and looked him straight in the eyes. "Here is what will be. I am Ms. Nadia Petrova, your Bulgarian cousin. You have only recently discovered my existence, and I will be staying here in England due to your kind generosity, cousin."

 She took a step back and waited.

 "Of course," Sir Stuart said. "Cousin Petrova. Well, forgive me if I seem a little unreasonable. It's this damned house. Black Manor, it's called."

 "Why Black Manor?" she asked.

 "It comes from the family name. Blakeney means 'from the black island'. One of my ancestors named the family home Black Manor. A horrid name, I know." He sighed. "Well, you can stay with us for the summer, I suppose. You shall have to meet my wife. I'll you shown to a room."

 Nadia smiled. "Thank you, cousin. I know I will enjoy my summer with you."