Old Ghosts

Yamcha doesn't know how long they run in the unchanging light of Otherworld, but eventually a grand house – almost a small palace – comes into sight. It's obviously not King Kai's place – Kami said the martial arts master's house lies at the end of Snake Way and there's still many miles to go before they reach that – but Tien calls for a halt anyway. They've been running a long time and Kami called everyone back in their weighted clothes, so all the Z Warriors are beginning to breathe a little hard at this point. This is also the first interesting bit of scenery they've seen, so they might as well stop here and sit on the doorstep as they rest. Piccolo doesn't seem to be tired at all, but he stops with them anyway and no one questions him about it. A certain fondness for Gohan doesn't mean the guy's gone soft, after all, or that he wouldn't be willing to throw one of them through the yellow clouds and into hell if they annoy him. In fact, Yamcha knows for certain that this is what will happen, because Piccolo told them so before they started running.

They aren't on the step long, however – not even long enough for their legs to recover and make it safe to sit without standing again to a world of cramps – when the palace door opens and a pretty woman with teal skin and lavender hair in a very high ponytail pokes her head out. She smiles when she sees them and opens the door all the way, smoothing her deep purple cheongsam as she does so.

"Hello, weary travelers, and welcome to Snake Palace. My mistress, Princess Snake, is extremely fond of visitors, and she will be delighted to offer you refreshment before you continue on your way. Please, come in!"

They look at each other uncertainly, because, again, Kami hadn't said anything about this place or stopping along the way, and the woman is quite obviously not human (and Yamcha's doing his best to focus on the 'not human' part as opposed to the 'woman' part (and to will his face not to turn red (why are women so hard for him to interact with? (why?!?)))). They are quite literally in uncharted territory here, and a false step could have dire consequences. After a moment's consideration, Tien shrugs.

"If we encounter a problem, we'll leave. The four of us should be able to deal with anything we find in there."

The woman beams, taking no offence at his words. "Wonderful, my mistress with be so pleased! Do follow me."

Inside the palace is elegantly traditional, with the very occasional touch of more modern styles keeping it from feeling like a time capsule, and Yamcha looks around curiously as they walk.

"Knock it off," Tien hisses at him when he notices this, "You look like a hick!"

"Shut up," Yamcha says amicable as he continues looking, "This is neat." And who knows if he'll ever have a chance to see something like this again? Tien may be as dignified as he pleases, Yamcha isn't missing this.

They are led to a large room, designed to impress with its size and quality as opposed to how much stuff is in it, and at the top of some steps on the other end of the room stand three women. Two look much like the woman who led them here, except for variations in hair colour and facial shape. The third woman's skin is a few shades darker than her attendants', and her hair is a short and fluffy orange. She's very beautiful, in a slightly alien way, and wearing a large white fur muff and long gloves. She smiles at them as they approach, sweet yet refined, and Yamcha looks at her and... flinches a bit. He doesn't feel shy or nervous so much as- as wary. Which is ridiculous, because she barely reaches his nose and, while he knows size doesn't count for nearly as much as many think, she's not built like a fighter, nor does she hold herself like one, so why-

Her ki. The- the- for a lack of a better word, the texture of it, it's familiar, he's felt ki like this before, it's almost like Ka-

"Presenting her highness, Princess Snake!" their guide announces grandly.