3.

Aiko knew she hadn't met that many people. Of course, Zetsu was always there and Madara dropped in and out at one point but she knew she wasn't the most sociable or outgoing with her emotions. She had always been lonely; when she was alone, wandering that deep darkness without her family and crying bitterly into her makeshift pillow that she would pretend was her mother comforting her. Over time, that pain subsided but it never really went away. She always had that hole in her chest.

  She simply stopped caring because it was easier than crying. Easier than being hurt. But now, as she looked at Obito doing his daily round of push ups with Zetsu on his back, drawing poop in a piece of paper as encouragement ; she found that she unwittingly let him into that trust—that hole in her chest. She watched him everyday; noticing that he got stronger as he chased down Zetsu and did multiple flips to help with his agility. He never gave up. He kept pushing even though it hurt like hell while she had simply given up. He had something to fight for, didn't he? He wanted to see Rin and Kakashi again.

  She heard him muttering in his sleep while crying when's he first met him. Rin. She must have meant a lot to him. Aiko felt a surge of fire in her chest with a strange simmering sensation. Why was she getting so defensive over him? He would just pick up and leave when he was done. She would be back with the rats and Zetsu and continue her life as she always had.

  But she didn't want that. She wanted him to stay.

  Why she did, she didn't know, but she had bonded with him all the same. Yes, her—the badmouth Uzumaki without a care for the world cared for a stupid Uchiha Baka who got hurt and lost his arm. Yet that stupid Baka still never gave up.

  Aiko walked into the cave as she saw Obito chasing Zetsu across the walls; his chakra pumping steadily so that he kept his balance. Aiko saw his progress. He'd have to leave soon, wouldn't he?

  "Soup's done," she announced as the two dropped down in the middle of their fighting and Obito rushed over and gulped down what she had made hungrily.

  "You're getting stronger," Aiko noted quietly as Obito looked up at her, his eyes shining.

   "Of course!" He boasted, jabbing his finger towards his chest, "I am an Uchiha through and through!"

  Aiko cracked a smile despite herself. "I'm curious—"she began, "What dreams do you have? You seem to be a very determined person with a lot of aspirations."

  Obito was quiet for a moment, stirring his soup. "You're going to laugh," he mumbled, his head bowed.

  "Yeah, but when do I not laugh at you?" Aiko asked, teasing him.

  He mumbled something underneath his breath.

   "Sorry?"

  "You heard me, I'm not saying it again," Obito mumbled.

   Aiko gave him a flat look before he lowered his head, the tips of his ears and his cheeks red with embarrassment. He looked kind of cute, being all bashful like that with his shaggy outgrown hair. "I want to be the Hokage—" he muttered.

  Aiko didn't laugh. "Well—" she let out a drawn out syllable, "that's tough luck for you."

  "Why?" Obito raised his head.

  The corner of her lip twitched as she took ahold of the rat and held up, "All I'm saying is that you have competition. You see, Hashirama also wants to be Hokage—" she held up the rat as she tried to contain her laughter.

  Obito said nothing for a moment before he snorted, before dissolving into full blown laughter. They both held their sides, cackling as the rat looked grumpily at them.