The Chariot

People were everywhere. They were chanting, waving, jumping around. Why were they so happy?

People were on either side of me, too, pushing me forward, away from the Capitol crowds. Peacekeepers were shoving people away from us, like we were important, like we were celebrities.

Back home, no one cheered for the tributes. When they came home victors, we cheered. But never before they were going to die. This really was just a game to the Capitol.

"Come on, tributes," Sariel said. He motioned for Kane and me to follow him through a set of doors. They were off to the side and connected to a huge building, maybe the size of the Nut. I nodded and quickly followed him inside.

Angeline was right behind us. She seemed to be loving the crowds. She frowned a little as we entered, but looked at me and smiled again. "Welcome to the preparation area. This is your prep team. Their job is to get you ready for the Games by looking fabulous."

I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow as I studied the so called "prep team." They were Capitol people, clearly. All three of them matched, with long pink and black hair. They all wore bright blue jump suits covered in shimmering patterns. I could hardly look at them for too long.

"We're all so excited!" one of them said in a voice much like Angeline's. "I'm Edna, and this is Galene and Otis." Studying them again, I realized the one on the end was actually a guy with hair as long as the others.

"Uh, hi," was all I said. There wasn't much to say, though. The team said some things to Angeline and whisked me away behind blue curtains. The whole thing looked too much like the hospitals from District Two.

"You're going to look just marvelous for the Games!" Edna exclaimed, handing me a hospital gown to change into.

"Oh I bet..." I muttered. After changing, I was seated on a metal table while the trio went to get "clippers, razors and lots of wax."

They returned as promised, and after what had to be hours of painful treatments to every part of my body, they finally deemed me ready to go.

"So I'm done now?" I asked hopefully.

They only chuckled. "Not quite. There's one last person you need to meet." Great, more clones.

Yet again, I was taken dragged out of the room and into a completely different one. This time, the room had only a couch and a floor to ceiling 360 mirror. I looked around for anyone, but my prep team hadn't followed me in. I couldn't say I wasn't relieved by that. They were starting to annoy me.

I was about ready to sit and wait when the door opened again. "Don't sit just yet!" a tall lady in a tight black dress told me. She was probably fashionable to the Capitol standards, and she was certainly beautiful. Across her back, she carried something covered in plastic wrap on a hanger.

"Just finished the alterations. It should fit perfectly now." She handed me the plastic mess and motioned toward the mirrors. "You'll wear this tonight, for the chariot rides."

Of course the chariot rides were tonight. All the districts had to watch them, we did it every year. And now they would all watch me.

I took the outfit and tried I put it on as quickly as possible, but there were so many pieces I didn't know where to begin. (Picture in media!)

After hours of makeup and hair, it was finally time for the chariot rides. Part of me was strangely excited. From my chariot, I could see a glimpse of the crowd. They filled the huge stadium, some people cheering already. Every seat was taken.

I looked down at my outfit nervously. My stylist, Varina, left nothing to the imagination. She told me I was a peacekeeper, because we were supposed to represent our district. I wanted to ask her if she'd ever met a peacekeeper, been shoved or hit or whipped by one, but I kept my mouth shut.