Potions

Harry sat in the Gryffindor common room with Draco Malfoy. They were silent for once. Draco looked around. There was a nice couch and two armchairs around a fire. It was very cozy and smelled of pine burning in the fire. It was much warmer than Slytherin common room and though he wouldn't admit it he preferred the warm cozy common room to his cold and dark one.

"Well, are we going to start or just sit here?" Harry said rudely.

"You know I was sent here to help you so you might want to find some manners potter" Draco spat back at him.

"Like yours?" Draco simply rolled his eyes at him.

Draco pulled out a potions book pushed it unto Harry's arms.

"Here find the page on dreamless sleep." He said, and then rummaged through his stuff to find his cauldron. He found it, and set it down on the table in front of the couch.

"You'll need, lavender, flobberworm mucus, Valerian sprigs, knotgrass, half a runespoor egg, wormwood essence, and wiggenbush bark." Harry listed the ingredients off and Draco dug through his stuff to find them.

When they had all the ingredients laid out in front of them Draco grabbed the book from Harry. He leaned over the book and read the instruction once through. Then he pushed up his sleeves. Draco was strong, from years of Quidditch and his wand arm especially showed his muscles. Harry noticed and stared for a moment but then looked away before Draco noticed him and thought something stupid.

Harry watched as Draco began making the potion, narrating as he did it so Harry could help next time.

He handed the sprigs and runespoor egg to harry and told him to cut them up. Harry laid the sprigs neatly together and quickly chopped them up. He looked like one of those chefs on muggle TV. He moved the blade so fast and perfectly, and with such precision that Draco stopped what he was doing and watched him.

"How do you do that?" Draco asked, forgetting his hatred toward Harry for a moment as he was lost in the brilliance.

"Practice," Harry said as if he were talking to a fellow Gryffindor.

Harry handed him the springs and Draco began adding them slowly to the potion as the book said, stirring occasionally. Harry sliced the egg in half and cut the half in quarters then pushed it all over to Draco.

Then Harry looked up to see Draco stirring the potion in a clockwise and counterclockwise pattern. Two stirs clockwise, five counterclockwise.

Then he added the eggs and wormwood essence, and lavender, the last three ingredients. Then he began to stir in the same pattern. The potion slowly began to turn from an ugly shade greenish brown to a beautiful dark purple. When it had completely turned Draco muttered one quick word and the potion darkened. Now it was almost bluish.

"The nice thing about dreamless sleep potion is that it can be made in one day. Potions like polyjuice take at least a month." Draco said and began clearing up the ingredients. Harry closed the book and handed it to him he stuffed it in his bag. He must have had an undetectable extension charm on it because it didn't budge at all after shoving everything back in.

Then he rummaged around in it and pulled out some phials into which he put the potion. Then he handed them to Harry. He grabbed the cauldron, cast a simple cleaning spell and shoved it into the bag. Definitely charmed.

"See you in two weeks potter" Draco sneered and began to walk toward the portrait hole.

"Password is mimbulus mimbletonia, for next time since Dumbledore brought you here today."

"Thanks," Draco said over his shoulder as he left.