2

She felt his tight embrace against her body, wanting to stay there forever. She looked into his deep blue, captivating eyes. He was her safe place, and she never wanted to leave his side, no matter the consequences.

But she couldn't.

'Fitz...' she spoke softly, her voice barley a whisper.

'I-I have a life here. The firm! I can't just leave the firm...a-and Mellie. I have a responsibility, a job....a life,' she felt her hands separate from his body, looking away from his eyes. She couldn't bare to look into them, knowing she would instantly break once she made contact with them. She slipped away, turning softly.

'Goodbye, Mr. President,' she whispered, walking towards the entrance of the house. She felt the cameras shuttering as she took her long steps across the White House lawn, knowing Fitz was looking directly at her from behind. A tear rolled down her face, her heart breaking with every step she took away from him.

It was for the better, she kept telling herself.

You have a life.

You have plans.

You have ideas.

She couldn't just abandon them and leave with him. Shes been working towards this her entire life, she couldn't just drop it like it was nothing. He tiny feet tread along the grass, the cameras shuttering behind her, capturing every moment. Her hand immediately moved toward her pointer finger, where she fidgeted with her ring.

His ring. Their ring.

The gates opened, and as soon as she entered, she had left. She was escorted to her car, where she was handed her keys to return home. Her phone buzzed softly in her puse, and she reached inside of her purse.

I miss you.

It was him. He owned her, he controlled her. Even from a fucking helicopter, for God's sake, he made her feel things she had never felt before. She shook her head, thanking the guard at the gate and heading into her car. She slowly drifted away from the house where she had made so many memories, and was soon to make more.

——————————

Fitz looked out the window of his chopper, admiring the sun glistening on the reflection pool into his bright blue eyes. He took a long sip of his scotch, finishing his second glass already. He glanced down at his phone, reading his message over and over.

I miss you.

Words couldn't describe the heartache he was feeling. He knew she loved him, that she wanted a life with him, but she denied him in front of everybody. Every fucking body. He sighed, pouring himself another glass and chugging it down, making himself feel numb from all of the pain.