Kabanata 22

KABANATA 22

September 22, 20xx.

"Pauwi na ako Ria. May dinaanan lang ako sandali."

Cute turned his head towards me as he listened to what the other person on the phone had to say. His face had a tinge of worry but it was gone the second he saw me staring at him. He smiled before he covered the receiver with his other hand and turned the other way.

His name was Kyouske Kurozawa, the second son of Daiki Kurozawa, the Grand Beta. A relative. Well, now, I guess, we're sort of a relative. I called him "Cute" because I thought calling him by his real name would be boring. Besides, he seemed to like it.

He visits me sometimes, about once every two months. And when he's here, he'd teach me about Philippine History and some of her major dialects. Most of the time and during these lessons, he'd talk about his family who's been living in one of the known provinces in the country. He'd talk about his Filipino wife and his sons. I heard from the butlers that it was such a scandal back then when he decided against his father and married a foreign blood, one who, by the clan's standards, was far inferior. But by the way he spoke about them, the way his eyes light up when he recalls fond memories about them, I could feel his great love and dedication for his family.

"Alam ko iyon. Sandaling-sandali lang talaga and then I'll jump into the family jet so I could get there on time. Don't worry, hindi ako mawawala bukas."

After a while, he put his phone down and released a heavy sigh.

"Pasensiya ka na, Ayana. Birthday kasi ng bunso ko bukas kaya minamadali ako ni Komander. Alam mo naman iyon..." Anito matapos bumalik sa pinag-upuan at saka pinulot ang naiwang aklat.

Umiling ako, maingat sa pinapakitang ekspresyon, naiintindihan ang pinapahiwatig.

It's been two years since the Headmaster unwillingly agreed with Gene's decision of to adopt me but on a condition that I live separately and secretly from the rest of the clan. Within those years, I've only had three visitors, at most, in this large estate. Excluding my professors and martial arts instructors, there was no one else that I could talk to. No other children. Just me and the butlers who didn't want to stay near me for more than ten seconds. So, I was beyond ecstatic everytime someone came to visit and then crestfallen whenever it's time for them to leave... just like now.

"That's alright. I understand perfectly," I said as I swallowed the invisible lump in my throat, "It's a 14-hour flight from Charlotte so if you want to make it for the celebration tomorrow, you need to leave right away."

Lumapit pa si Cute para akbayan ako.

"Huwag kang mag-alala, Ayana. Darating din ang araw na makakaalis ka rito. And when you do, the first thing we'll do is take you to my home and introduce you to my family. How about it?" He said, his tone hopeful.

"You think so?" I asked and he immediately nodded with a big smile on his face. I bit my lip as I stared at the pencil I was holding, "Um, do you think... Do you think your sons will... um... like me? I mean... you know how the clan sees me. I'm a curse. Maybe... maybe they've heard about it and—"

"That's not going to happen, Ayana," he firmly said, cutting me, as he held my shoulders and turned me towards him, "Alam nating hindi totoo ang mga pinagsasabi nila. Ilang beses ba naming sasabihin ni Yuujin sa iyo iyan? Huwag mo silang pakinggan," he firmly said.

Dahan-dahan akong tumango.

"And besides, I know my sons. Mababait ang mga iyon," he added as he gave my shoulder a small squeeze, "I'm sure they will like you."