Age 15 /Chapter 1

Minghao

"I am honestly so happy school is over," Soonyoung said while dumping out everything that was in his backpack into the garbage bin. Minghao waited beside him, not wanting to get rid of his stuff.

With a smile, Minghao agreed, "Yeah, we're going to be sophomores."

With his empty backpack back on, Soonyoung put an arm around Minghao and pulled him to start walking. Minghao followed his lead, his arm wrapped around him with his head leaning on Sooyoung's shoulder.

"Yep but 'till then... we're going to have fun this summer," Soonyoung looked down at Minghao with a huge smile, "and without your backpack."

Minghao smiled and nodded. They kept walking until they reached the bus stop, where a bus was waiting. The bus that would take them home.

The bus's door opened with a squeaky noise. Both boys went in and sat down all the way in the back. A few other kids came into the noisy bus but neither Soonyoung nor Minghao paid attention. Since they were both playing a game together on their phones.

Minghao leaned into Soonyoung.

~~~

"I'll pick you up tomorrow and tell your mom I said bye."

Soonyoung got off the couch with his empty backpack still on and began heading to the front door. Minghao was just behind him, walking him out.

"Are we going to the treehouse?"

The front door was opened and Soonyoung was already outside.

"You'll find out tomorrow."

Soonyoung opened his arms wide with a smile on his face and Minghao went in for the hug. They stood there for a while. Hugging, while Soonyoung brushed his hand through Minghao's hair.

"Alright, boys. Time to say goodbye. You'll see each other tomorrow," Minghao's mother said, interrupting their moment.

"Okay, mom." Minghao let go of him, missing him already.

"Bye Hao. Bye Mrs. Xu," Soonyoung waved his hand as he walked down the steps and onto the sidewalk. Only living a few streets down, he would be able to get home before the sun went down.

"Get in the house, the air conditioner is still on," Mrs. Xu swatted him inside playfully. Minghao smiled and began walking in slower than before.

"Hurry up. Do you pay the bills?? Do you go to work little man?"

Minghao sighed with his smile still on his face.

"You won't let me work."

"That's right. Now get in and do something."

"Okay, mom."

After closing the door, his mother disappeared into the kitchen.

Minghao walks around the house once then twice and when he finally gets tired of walking, he goes into his room. It's bright and tidy. Everything was in its correct spot, for now.

He walked up to his desk and turn on the lamp. Grabbing some pencils and color pencils, he places them along with paper on the desk.

He sits down, staring down at the blank white paper with a pencil in his hand. Closing his eyes, he lets his hand choose a spot. It moved to a certain spot and began lightly drawing out a shape. Minghao opens his eyes and focuses on drawing, avoiding every face feature except for the lips.

He's done this so many times it's feels natural.

As he was doing his finishing touches he hears a knock at the door and a muffled 'can I come in?'.

"Come in."

The door creaks open and Minghao puts his drawing utensils down.

"It's eleven already," Mrs. Xu informs.

"Is it really?" Sadness in his voice appeared as his voice seem to shake.

"Yes."

Silence.

Mrs. Xu speaks up, "You should start heading to bed."

Minghao ignores her and gets straight to the point.

"Just say it mom. Dad's not home again."

"N-no, he's just on a busines-"

Minghao turns to face his mother.

"Business trip?" He raises his eyebrow at her, "you've told me that for the past week. Do you really think I've been believing that lie?"

His mothers eyes are ready to make a waterfall with all the water threatening to fall out. He sighs and opens his arms.

"Mom come here."

She shakes her head.

"Mom~"

She gives in to her son and walks into his arms. Minghao hugs her tightly and begins rubbing her arm.

"Mom it's okay. Let it out."

And she does. She cries and cries until she falls asleep in her sons arms.

When Minghao is sure she's knocked out, he picks her up and lays her on his bed. He struggled of course. He wasn't the strongest son after all.

As he lays down next to her, he looks at her. Puffy eyes, pale face.

"Mom, why do you still love him?"

He sighs and looks over to his desk that has his drawing placed on it. It's last thing he sees before falling asleep.

~~~

12.4.2018