Service

Michelle gently rested her hands on the glass pane of the sliding door. The warm summer breeze whistled its way into her home and caressed her cheeks gingerly the second she pulled the entrance open. She inhaled deeply, allowing the fresh morning air to seep its way into her lungs.

The waves of the ocean softly crashed into one another as the birds chirped their soft tunes in the bright sky causing the corners of the brunette's lips to slowly turn up until her expression finally transformed into a smile.

The ripples of the sea toppled each other as if they were fighting for dominance and while the sight was mesmerizing, the sound alone was absolutely angelic.

The sight of the smooth sandy beach made Michelle want to do nothing more than walk along the shore with her husband. She could imagine the seaside heating their feet as their toes furrowed into the sand. And while the warm thought initially brought her a great sense of happiness, eventually, the memory of her husband swaying from a large oak tree with a noose hanging around his neck immediately dispersed her joyful thoughts.

Although it had been a full year since her husband's passing, the pain his abrupt death brought her never failed to make fresh tears sting behind her eyes. She shook her head to disperse her torturous thoughts and instead focused on the current life she lived. Initially, she didn't think it was possible, tangible, or feasible. Moving west to California, living a peaceful life filled with safety and security, or having a family, but as always, Lincoln was right.

It wasn't until she heard a knock sound from the front door that she was finally pulled back to reality. Instinctively, her hand reached towards her side while her eyes narrowed in suspicion, however, once she realized her holster was no longer snugly attached to her waist as it once was, she exhaled softly in attempts to calm her nerves.

Even though she left that life behind long ago, the events of the past continued to keep her on edge, however, slowly, but surely, she was letting go. Leaving the violence, hatred, and anger in the past, not allowing it to destroy the life of tranquility that she now had the pleasure of living.

She sauntered towards the front door and gripped the handle before pulling the entrance open in a languid fashion.

Her eyes returned to its narrowed state once they fell on a woman that was all too familiar.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Michelle hissed through clenched teeth.

Vivian smiled and looked the other woman up and down, allowing herself to take Michelle in entirely before finally speaking, "I came to check up on you."

Michelle rested her hands on her hips and scoffed, "To check up on me? Look, I'm through with that life, I'm through with the death that came with it, I'm through with you. I scratched your back and you scratched mine. We're done." After the assertion fell from her lips, she quickly attempted to push the door to a close, however, her swift movements didn't measure up to Vivian's speedy action as she stuck her foot out, effectively keep the door ajar.

Vivian pressed her fingertips to the entrance and pushed it open with ease. "Actually," she smirked, "I need you to scratch my back one last time."

Michelle fixed her eyes on Vivian once the woman waltzed into the home, her heels clicked against the lament floor in the process. With a raised brow, Vivian surveyed the home carefully.

"It's a nice place you got here," she grinned. "So, tell me Michelle...how are the kids?"

The ebony woman instantly gritted her teeth. "You've been watching me," she growled.

Vivian let out a small laugh and shrugged her shoulders.

"This isn't your jurisdiction," Michelle asserted.