Chapter One: The Marketplace

Toren, admittedly, wasn't the type to be seen wandering the streets of the Marketplace by herself.

Usually, her father would have a guard or two tailing her at all hours of the day and night, but this fateful day was an exception. Her father, his royal majesty Bazyl, was in need of all his soldiers today, so she had a once in a lifetime opportunity to explore.

The young creature found herself sitting in front of a makeshift stage in the more theatrical part of the market, her tail tapping the ground rhythmically along with the flute. Everything around here today was so vibrant, and...alive! She took a minute to admire it, all the sounds and sights. Aside from the multitude of Gatekeepers that could be seen wandering through the streets, there was all the flora and fauna to look at. The Marketplace was actually built within a gigantic, hollowed out tree, and as a result had a unique, yet beautiful lighting to it. The vines with all their flowers hanging down through the canopy. The birds, the bees...even a deer! And the smells...The soft and crisp ones, the sharp and tangy one...she could even smell freshly baked bread from Fawn's Bakery. She found herself mesmerized my it...until...the music began to pick up speed.

Before she even knew what was happening, she was in the midst of a crowd of dancing townsfolk, all laughing and singing tunes joyfully while she let out pained cries every time her tail or wing was stepped on. Toren grunted as she weaved through the crowd, leaping out into the street and becoming still, catching her breath from all the sudden excitement. But for a smaller than normal pup, the danger had not yet ceased. She once again had to leap to avoid being trampled by a herd of cattle, all of them mooing loudly as they passed. But, Toren didn't quite calculate her jump, as she went sailing head first into the metal side of a guards armor, it making a deep ringing noise when she hit it.

The young creature groaned as she fell down to the ground, rubbing her beak as it throbbed in pain. The guard whom she had hit didn't look pleased at all as he looked down at her, eyes narrowing. Toren gulped once she looked up, realizing who it was.

It was the captain of the Royal Guard, Andreas, who just so happened to be the one that always made sure to tell her father when she was doing something wrong.

"General Andreas! Hi! I, uh, didn't expect to see you here at the Marketplace!" Toren said with a nervous grin. He didn't buy if for a second as a scowl spread over his beak.

"Your Highness...should I even give you a chance to explain yourself, or should I go strait to your father? I'm leaning towards the latter, pup." He said, that rough and deep tone his voice naturally had not soothing her nerves in the slightest.

"No! Please!" She cried, lacing her hands together in a begging manner. "He didn't let me out again for a month last time! Please, please give me a chance. I-I'll go strait home to the castle! Like this never happened! Honest!"

He opened his beak to give reply, but a voice interrupted him.

"General! The King is in need of your presence within the Courthouse!" Said a young female soldier as she ran up to him, the helmet on her head looking a bit large for her. Andreas looked down at Toren, a slight growl rising in his throat.

"You go strait home...understand?" He asked, eyes scanning the pups face.

Toren became joyous, leaping up to her paws as her feathers puffed up. "Yes! Yes, I understand! Thank you!"

With that she ran off, grateful he had even let her go. It was unlike him, but hey, she wasn't complaining.Andreas grunted as he watched her speed away, then turning around to the soldier.

 "Lead the way..."

~o0o~