A Slice Of Truth

The door opens, and the first thing I see is a gun pointed directly at my face. I take my hands away from the door and put them above my head.

"Don't shoot," I say. The gun lowers, and I hear a familiar voice.

"Iris? What are you doing? Where's Jonas?" Erik asks.

"What are you doing here, Erik? I thought Jonas banished you. How did you get back here?" I rapid fire.

"I came back to finish what we started. The rebellion brought me back here for one night only."

"Well, it's too bad, because Jonas isn't here. What did you do to Vienna and A? Where are they?"

"Vienna and A are here? Why?" Erik wonders.

"Because they wanted to see an old friend. We have met many times these past few years ever since the majority of the rebellion surrendered after we granted some of their demands. Only the few who are still unsatisfied are rebelling now. And how dare you come back after what you did? Your 'cause' is what got Arrietty killed. She was my friend!" I scream.

"I was your friend once. What happened to the girl who used to love me?"

"She saw the truth of who you were. She saw how far you would go and who you would sacrifice in your pursuit of 'justice'." I scoff. "More like revenge. Your still not over Molly, you never have been. Even if there were no Expiration Dates, you still would've gotten her killed. This is all your fault. Now leave. I will not let you harm my children or my family. Once upon a time they were your family, too."

"Your children? Your family?" He inquires. I point at the pictures all around the room.

"My children, Erik. You cannot take their parents from them. They're only nine, Erik. You cannot punish them for the crimes you accuse Jonas of. You don't know what we've done, how we've changed the country. No more Expiration Dates, Erik. We got rid of them. My daughters will never know the pain I went through in the orphanage. They will not be unloved because they would die young, like I was supposed to. They will not be burdened with knowing the day they will die."

"How?" Erik splutters. "How did you do it?"

"It was Jonas. He persuaded them to stop it. He's the reason that they're gone." I hear footsteps running towards us. I have no way on knowing if it's more rebels, if it's A or Vienna, or someone else entirely.

"Iris? Iris, what's going on in there?"

Now who showed up? These people just love interrupting Iris and whoever she's with. Sorry that it's been so long, I've been really busy trying to pack because my mom wants to move in August and we are so not ready right now. We've got about a month and a half to pack our entire house, so updates are going to be sparse for now, but once we've finished, I'll be updating more, with a possibility of at least twice a month. I really hope you enjoyed this chapter, and if you made it this far, you're awesome and thank you so very much.

~M