Chapter 18

At the northern edge of the Skotadi territory, a fast-flowing river wound its way towards the village, at the center of the territory before forking into two branches and winding around the village, pooling into a large lake on the southern side. Legend claimed that hundreds of years ago, when the people of the Skotadi were small, Oryx had dropped a large rock into the northern part of the river, where it overlooked the village. There he had stood when he blessed the Skotadi people. He gave them wings, to soar over their enemies, claws to attack with, and fangs to shred the life of their enemies.

     The legend also claimed that every three years, royal blood must be shed on that rock, to keep the blessing, and the protection alive for years to come. Every three years, this responsibility, this privilege, fell to the youngest adolescent of the royal bloodline- to keep the blood pure- though a challenge for the privilege could take place if another member of the bloodline wished it. Once the subject was chosen, they were to take their closest, most trusted partner and go to the rock at sunset on the day of the ceremony. Their champion. There, the village would gather on the banks, and watch as the champion would wield a traditional blade, and slice the subject seven times. Two on the back- to remember their wings. One on each hand- to remember their claws. One across the throat- to remember their fangs, and two across the left chest- to remember the strength Oryx had given to them. Then, the people of the village would return to their homes, and the champion and the subject would stay. The subject, bleeding on the rock, the champion, wielding the traditional blade, would defend them until dawn rose.

     Damian told all this to Tessa as they sat in his dark room, after they'd returned from Torak's. She could hardly believe his words, the youngest adolescent. He and Torak had discussed it earlier. He had gone through this before, when he had been a boy. She opened her mouth to speak, to ask him, but he rose a hand.

     "Like Edrei said, the ceremony takes place the day after tomorrow. I would have said something earlier if I had known, I would have told you before we even left, if I had known." He explained. "You know the subject they've picked is young. My cousin, Antok, like Torak said. He's hardly fifteen. I can't let someone that young go through that. I know how it feels, I had to do it when I was fourteen, my partner left me an hour into the night." He didn't look too upset about the fact, he hadn't when he'd told her things like that, because he'd come to terms with most of what had happened.

     "Anyways," He said, leaning forward in his chair across from where she was seated on the bed, resting his elbows on his knees. "Challenges usually run up until the ceremony starts, but the catch is this, the subjects aren't the ones that fight, their champions fight for them, that's why they call them champions." He explained.

     "You want me to be your champion and fight for you when you challenge this boy." Tessa said with a slow nod in understanding.

     "You don't have to," he said quickly, "You remember what Torak said, he will fight for me if I need him to.

     "No, no." She said, equally quickly, "I want to do it." She said, "I mean, I don't enjoy the thought of cutting you up in seven places and watching you bleed out all night, but I'll do it if that means that boy doesn't have to deal with it instead."

     Damian smiled at her in thanks. "Great." He said, "But, on another note," He said, glancing out the window to the rising moon. "It's getting kind of late, and if you want to take a hot bath tonight, I suggest you do it soon. Or else you'll have to choose between ice water or waiting."

     Tessa frowned, taken aback at the sudden topic change. "What?" She asked, "What do you mean?"

     "I said the wind mills are able to pump water to all the village, but there are no water heaters." He explained.