Chapter One

[~¤Levi POV¤~]

It was mid-autumn and the air had a crisp chill to it. Sighing in contentment with the enjoyable weather, I nuzzled my face into my scarf. Any trace of summer was long gone at this point, thankfully. Ever since I was little, I've always hated the summertime. It was a hot summer day when my mother and sister had passed away in a house fire.

To this day, I can still distinctly hear them, crying out for help. Of course, I was useless to help them, and my father had been away on a business trip.

My older brother however, had tried his hardest to save them. He didn't make it in time. Since that day, my brother has resented me. My father drank to forget. My older brother, Farlan, had fallen into a hold of depression and tried to drown out the world with his earbuds, though it never worked.

A soft rumble exploded throughout the sky, and it looked like it would rain soon.  Huffing, I stood up from the bench I was sitting at and accidently rammed face first into someone's chest.

Shocked, I looked up and saw  a stammering and blushing boy apologizing frantically.  "It's fine." I said to him. "N-no it's not! I-I'm so s-sorry!" He replied, grabbing me by the shoulders, sincerely apologizing to me.

  I sighed lightly, backing up, I noticed some scattered folders and notebooks labeled S.S.H on them. I bent down, picking them up and handing them to the boy who was still blushing and stammering. "You dropped something." I said to him softly. "O-Oh right! Th-thanks." He said nervously.

"Leeeevi~!" I winced, turning around to see Hanji running towards me. She grabbed my arm and dragged me towards her car. Hanji was one of my coworkers at the coffee shop, and boy she was annoying sometimes.

"Come on Levi, we can't be late for work! Out shifts are starting in minutes." Hanji said frantically, getting into the passenger seat.

"Hey Levi, who was that guy you were just with?" Erwin directed the conversation away from Hanji's incoherent ramblings.  "Don't know, the damned brat bumped into me at the park." I tched,  facing the car window to watch the trees from the park fade away in the distance.

Man, those storm clouds look really horrible. Erwin casually turned on the radio, and Hanji immediately lunged for her favourite radio station. I rolled my eyes, she had put on some cheesy pop romance song.

It was almost six-thirty, meaning we were cutting it real close to our shift time, luckily we made it to the coffee shop in time.  I sighed as the car came to a complete stop in the parking lot, for some reason, I felt like this was going to be a loong shift.

[~Mini time skip, about two hours maybe~]

"Levi,  we're closing in about thirty minutes." Erwin informed me, I nodded confirming I understood.  "I'm taking my break, I feel exhausted." I told him nonchalantly, he nodded.

I made myself a hot chocolate and sat down at a table to drink it. There were only about four other customers here, they were all sitting together, laughing and smiling.

I wish I could have friends like that, I thought to myself. Yeah right, if only people cared about you, I sneered to my inner self.

The door chimed and a boy walked in, looking emotionally wrecked. This boy looks like his entire family just got hit by a damn hurricane.

Hold on, something about this boy looks somewhat familiar for some reason. Oh, it's that brunette from earlier! I shook my head and avoided eye contact. The last thing I needed right now was for him to try and be friends with me or some bullshit.

The group that was laughing suddenly got quiet, and some snickers and whispers were incoherently heard. The boy sighed, shaking his head, and ordered a coffee from Hanji. (who was working the cash register shift.)