Chapter 2

The Quagmires, Baudelaires, and I hurry to the library

The Quagmires, Baudelaires, and I hurry to the library. They believed they could find a book that would help them figure out why everything has happened to them. I was originally going to return to my new living quarters, but Isadora insisted I came with.

"Quagmires, Baudelaires, Ellis." Ms. Caliban greets as we enter the library. "How lovely to see you all together."

I smile at her. "Are you still open?"

"I'm afraid I was just closing." Ms. Caliban frowns. "Ten minutes goes by fast." Nero despises libraries. He won't allow Ms. Caliban to keep the doors unlocked for long. "You can come back tomorrow."

"Please." Klaus begs her. "We can't wait." He begins to inform her about the book they're looking for. Ms. Caliban agrees, and quickly searches for the book, but returns with nothing. The minutes tick by, and I begin to fear that we'll be caught.

I'm correct. Nero arrives, his hair disheveled as he glares at us angrily. "Report to the athletic field in ten minutes." He tells us. "Attendance is mandatory." He proceeds to tell us that if we are late, we'll have to buy him candy. Which would be horrible because I have no money.

"Pep assemblies are horrible." I groan.

"Don't worry, Ellis." Duncan says to me. "Isadora and I will bring you fruit." He turns to the Baudelaires. "We'll bring you some as well."

"Thank you." Violet replies. I can tell by the sincerity in her voice that she isn't just speaking of the fruit, but of the kindness and friendship the Quagmires have shown. "For making us feel at home."

"I'm sure you already know."

Violet and Klaus glance at Duncan with confusion. "Know what?"

"What friends are for." Isadora and I answer together, smiles on our faces.

~

The day is dark and gloomy, like always. I shiver in my uniform, holding my jacket to me as close as possible. It does little to block out the wind. Klaus sits besides me, spinning his half of the spyglass between his fingers. He catches me watching him, a light blush coating his cheeks.

"Sorry." I apologize. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."

"It's alright." Klaus responds.

Isadora and Duncan run up to us, frightened looks on their faces. "Baudelaires! We believe you're in danger."

I turn to look at them, my eyes wide. "Why? What's wrong?" The pep assembly begins, the cheers from the students drowning out the Quagmires reply. I'm not able to here much. They mention a name, Count Olaf. Just as they finish telling us, Nero introduces the new gym teacher.

A man steps onto the stage. Dressed in a turban appearing to be made of towels, a jeweled broach, a red gym suit, and white boots, is Count Olaf. I gasp quietly, my hand unconsciously moving to grip onto Klaus'. He doesn't remove his hand, only grips tighter.

Count Olaf moves his gaze to the six of us, a sinister smirk resting on his lips. "So much to learn," He grins, "and I'm here to school you."

Next chapter will be more interesting, I promise.