short piece

~*~*~*~*~

"Gray . . . I - I can't do this anymore," Ethan turned away and began walking faster, causing Grayson to run, yelling his words against the wind.

"ETHAN - Ethan what are you doing?!" 

"Ethan, stop - stop," 

Ethan was almost at the edge of the cliff now, and the clouds were menacingly dark and rolling overhead, seeming to reflect his inner storm. The rain poured, blurring out his figure. 

Grayson was running after Ethan with all his strength now, forgetting everything else, because nothing else mattered. All he could see in his mind was Ethan, Ethan on the edge, and he felt his heart ripping apart. His lungs were burning and his muscles were seizing up, but that was nothing, nothing compared to the dreadful thought in his mind. 

 He couldn't lose Ethan.

He finally caught up and stood, his hands on his knees, drawing deep, ragged breaths, without taking his eyes off Ethan. Ethan was on his knees, alarmingly close to the edge of the cliff, watching the waves roll and crash at the bottom. 

"Ethan," Grayson began. 

"No."

Ethan stood up, and turned around. His face was streaked with rain and tears, and his expression shattered Grayson's heart. It was the face of a broken person, someone who has endured far too much far too early. Ethan's eyes were like broken glass, the emotions seeping out and washing over his cheeks. He'd held them in too long, way too long. 

"Grayson, I - " his voice cracked. "I'm sorry." 

"Ethan - NO!" 

Grayson rushed forward to stop Ethan but he was already turning away, and before Grayson could scream at him to stop --

he was gone.

~*~*~*~*~

oops I'm sorry ;-;

~ maelynn