The World Is Cruel

Clarissa and I walked for a block in complete silence. 

I couldn't take it anymore. "What the hell is happening?" I blurted out.

Clarissa looked down at the ground with a sigh. "I guess there's no other way to tell you this..." She stopped in her tracks. "The phone call was sent over the intercom." Once that was out, she gave me a tentative glance. 

"You mean..." I was in utter disbelief. My friend nodded.

"The whole school could hear everything," she finished for me. 

"This is so messed up!" I rubbed my face with my hands. "What happened to her? Why would she tell the whole school about..." I had been referring to the receptionist, but Clarissa didn't know who I was referring to.

"Your mother had nothing to do with this. Do you remember what she said?" she asked me gently.

A lump grew in my throat. I started walking, my legs moving on their own, leaving my friend behind. One of the last things my mother had said was to take care of my sister.

She was a perfect angel, though she had her flaws, as everyone does. She had my hair, but longer and filled with curls. She also had my pale skin, freckles, and blue eyes. I loved her very dearly. She was only eight years old. Of course I had to help her in any way I could. My legs moved faster. 

I heard Clarissa shout behind me. She tried to tell me to slow down, to say away from the elementary school, but my ears wouldn't listen. Adrenaline rushed through my veins like a wildfire. Blood pounded in my head. By school bag bounced on my back.

I heard her voice fade away to nothing.

My home was right between the high school and the elementary school, lucky for me. Barely out of breath, I dashed into the house and threw my bag down. My mother would normally be at work until my sister and I were both at home, but I didn't know when she would be getting home that day. I ran into the kitchen and quickly poured myself a glass of water. I chugged it all in one sip. 

Right afterward, I dashed outside and continued on my way. I crossed three--unusually empty--streets and made my way to the school parking lot. A lone flagpole stood on the roof of the building. Its flag waved vigorously in the swift wind. The bike racks were still full, meaning the students had not yet been dismissed.

I dashed to the main doors and pulled both. The doors didn't seem to budge. I looked through the window. The familiar halls were empty and dark. The lights were turned off. I had attended this school for seven years--kindergarten through 6th grade--so I knew their schedule very well. Plus, it doesn't take a genius to know that having the main lights off while school was still in session was pretty strange. Then again, what hadn't been strange that day? 

I knocked on the glass, quietly at first. I held my ear to the glass. I heard nothing. I knocked harder. Panic took over me. I slammed my hand against the glass; I don't know how many times. I kicked the door hard and crumpled to the ground, sobbing. I loved my sister with all of my heart. I couldn't lose her. I couldn't. I couldn't lose my family in one day. 

As I lay on the cold pavement leaning against the door, I just wanted my mother to drape her arm over my shoulders, sheltering me. I wanted my sister to curl up beside me. I wanted them to say it was going to be okay. 

But that's the thing. Just wanting something doesn't mean it will easily come to you. The world is cruel that way. 

I placed my hand on the ground and pushed myself up. The world wants you to earn your happiness. And that's what I was going to do.

I was going to get my family back if it killed me.