Appointment and Education

Kits who wish to become medicine cats are apprenticed at the age of six moons to the Clan's current medicine cat*1. 

They are introduced to StarClan as a medicine cat apprentice at the first half moon after they gain apprenticeship. They earn their name at the Moonstone or Moonpool*2 after successfully completing their training, assuming full responsibilities even while their mentor is still alive.

 While there are usually two medicine cats at most, this is not always the case, and there may even be three at one time. 

Most of the time, a medicine cat's training takes longer than normal warrior training.

When an apprentice the mentor has them do tasks that prepare them for being a full time medicine cat. The apprentice has to gather herbs, get water, or do other useful things. They are expected to watch carefully when their mentor is treating a cat, so that when the time comes, they can do it, too.

It is also revealed in Night whispers that ShadowClan trains their medicine cats to fight like warriors, and ThunderClan medicine cats occasionally train their apprentices some fighting moves, such as Cinderpelt training Leafpaw.

Featherwhisker was also taught to hunt for prey even though it didn't follow the basic duties.

1- at their and the current medicone cat's choice only

2- or at any other place Starclan can communicate with them.