• 4 •

Emblem

The emblem of the Sheikah resembles a human eye, with three triangles above (as to imitate the eyelashes or symbolize the pieces of the Triforce) and a large tear that comes down from the eye. The red tint in which the emblem can sometimes be found symbolizes the color of the Sheikah eyes. After Ocarina of Time, this eye design has made some appearances throughout the later games in the chronology.
In The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, there are several elements with the Sheikah emblem: the Stones of the Howl, a wooden statue, the throne of Zant, the sword of Twilight, a layer used by Zelda, and the Molten Shadow. Also, although it is hard to see, a Sheikah emblem can be engraved on Midna's helmet by virtue of her hair. The places where Link enters the twilight that covers Hyrule, as well as numerous places in the dungeon of the Twilight Palace, also carry this symbol, which suggests that the Sheikah are connected in some way with the Twili. Notably, the version of the eye symbol seen in twilight is missing the three triangles tab. You can also see the symbol in the basement of the Sanctuary, where it initially covers the hole in the owl statue. Then another eyes appears at the doors of Celestia.

In the manga of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time it is explained that the symbol was, in times past, represented as a single eye without tears. This was changed by a kind of betrayal by the Royal Family of Hyrule that led to the expulsion of the Sheikh from Hyrule. In reference to what happened, the tear was added to the symbol.

In Breath of the Wild the emblem is very present in Kakariko and in several artifacts of the game. The Yiga Clan, formed by Sheikah loyal to Ganon, uses this inverted emblem.