II

♕ Ceylon Degray ♕

The door of my room fell shut. I threw myself on my bed, now staring at the ceiling. I tried to piece my thoughts together on this whole thing, but then figuring that it wasn't going to work.

I didn't get what the point of all this was, I was stressed, confused, and foremost tired.

Surrendering? I wish I could just change the King's decision.

I sat back up, now resting my upper body on my elbows.

My room was dark.

The only source of light that came in was from the window, where the glimmering moon was radiating its polished light into my room, casting shadows across the marble floor.

I rose to my feet, slowly making my way over to the window. All you could hear were my boots on the floor.

The snow outside was clear, and luckily it wasn't snowing, which made my mood rise up a bit because I could see the night sky.

It was filled with tiny dots, which were twinkling brightly.

After a while, I moved my eyes onto the white coating that covered the grass in a delicate blanket.

However, the snow wasn't as perfect now. I squinted my eyes, trying to figure out what the red splashes were.

Blood.

It's fucking blood.

I sighed and turn away from the window and closed the curtains. They were swaying back and forth from the stray wind.

Blood. On the snow that should be the color of a shimmering pearl.

I was cut off from my thoughts by a sudden knock on my door, causing me to jump a little. It must be Alva.

I was surprised that 30 minutes have already passed. Or she just came a little early.

The door creaked and then opened, revealing my sister standing in the doorway. "What do you want?" She harshly snapped at me as her shadow stretched far behind her as she came in and closed the door silently.

"I just wanted to know what happened back there," I explained briefly. She had already changed out of her formal dress into a long nightgown, the silk ends falling onto the floor.

"What do you mean?" She questioned, as if she didn't know what I meant by that at all.

I rolled my hazel eyes at her. "The way you were so suspicious. Even the atmosphere of the room was making me uncomfortable."

She rested her hands on the window and looked outside, then shifted her head towards my direction.

Alva was startled, taken aback by my question.

"Are you going to answer me?"

"Well, I get kind of nervous around higher ranking people," she explained shortly. "The king, especially."

I nodded in understanding. The king was no one to be messed with due to his temper. On the other hand, I felt that what she said was not the complete truth, but I was too tired to find out.

"Okay, thanks for telling me." I'm sure that Wallace is a kindhearted man indeed, so there really isn't anything to worry about.

My sister abruptly turned on her heels, making her way to the door. "Sure," Alva responded coldly and left, slamming the door on her way out.

Was there something I didn't know?

----

It was silent. I could even hear the crickets outside, singing their mellow songs.

A sigh left my lips as I glanced around my room. I settled my eyes on my silver sword.

As I got closer to it, my reflection came into focus on the sword. I carefully picked up the elegant handle. I ran my fingertips over the crest of our kingdom, and then over the engraved letters that spelled Ceylon.

I reminisced the many hours my brother and I spent practicing our fencing skills in the courtyard. I used to be inadequate in fencing, but I've grown tremendously, thanks to my brother.

The thoughts of me and my brother, Jack, reminded me of the day the king announced his passing. That day is still vivid in my mind.

I recalled the times when Jack and I were younger.
----
Fierce lightning struck, and I shivered as the intense thunder roared across the land. Jack would set me in his lap and comfort me with his soothing voice. "It's all right, Ceylon. It's all right."

Another time, I struggled to successfully ride my horse. Again and again would the arrogant horse shove me off its back. Later that day, Jack and I visited the stables to help me. "Ceylon, always remember to mount gently. Horses will be much more cooperative when you..." His voice trailed off as my thoughts wandered.

I missed him so much and longed for another day to see him. He passed away almost four years ago.

However, it completely destroyed Alva more than any of us, even though they didn't communicate much.

The last day I saw Jack, Wallace declared that Jack would leave to another kingdom to discuss a possible peace treaty.

He never said goodbye before he left.

The king said in his announcement that Jack had been gruesomely assassinated in another kingdom.

They didn't even bother to catch the assassin, which made me even more furious.

I set the sword back down on the ground, propped it up in the corner, the tip settling into the dark spruce wood.

So many questions. Few answers.

Was Alva telling the truth? Maybe, but not the whole truth.

I sighed, relaxing on my bed. I pulled the covers over my tired body, my head snuggling into the soft pillow.

I reached over to my nightstand and picked up a book. I began reading where I left off, until slowly my dreary eyelids closed and my mind drifted off from consciousness.