12- Happy (Late) Valentine's

2 weeks later

Stefan's POV

"Long day, huh?" Brian sighs with an exhausted smile before putting his scrubs in the bin as we make our way out of the locker room. It's been such a busy day that we haven't even said one word to each other since we started.

"Tell me about it," I agree.

"Got any plans for tonight?"

"Elena and I are having a date night to celebrate Valentine's Day," I reply.

"Dude, you know Valentine's Day was 2 weeks ago, right?" He says sarcastically with a nudge.

"Our schedules have been completely off recently so tonight was the first night we could do it. What about you?"

"Fair enough. Nothing much, Lex and I might watch a movie. How's Elena doing? Third trimester and all?"

"She's okay. She's uncomfortable most of the time though and she's starting to get Braxton-Hicks every now and then."

"That's rough. She's working part time as well, right?" He inquires.

"Yeah, I honestly don't know how she manages it all. She was really set on being a full-time mother and working."

"She does love her job. Give it a few years and she'll be running that place."

I smile, completely agreeing with him. "The only reason she'll need a few years is because she's having a baby. If you ask me, she can already do a better job than her boss."

"Agreed. Well, tell her I say hi and give Layla a hug from me. Enjoy your date night!"

"Thanks, will do. Enjoy your evening." He gives a brief wave before dipping his head and getting into his car. A few seconds later I replicate his actions and make my way home to my wife and daughter.

"Hey, I'm home." I close the door behind me and make my way my way into the living room. There I'm met with the sight of Elena and Layla snuggled up under a blanket together watching Ben and Holly's little kingdom. Layla has been obsessed with this programme over the last few weeks, so much so that I'm pretty sure both Elena and I know the words to each episode off-by-heart. Layla is completely entranced in the episode whereas Elena is mostly resting her eyes. I smile at the serene and calm look on her face. Her eyes slowly open as I enter the room, smiling as she lifts the blanket, beckoning me forward. Of course, I instantly take the opportunity to snuggle up with my wife and daughter after a long day at work. I wrap my arm around her shoulders, enabling me to gently caress Layla's cheek.

"How was work?" She asks, repositioning herself to rest her head on my chest.

"It was good, lots of successful surgeries. How was your day?"

"Tiring, she's been full of beans all day. She's only just settled down now." She kisses her head with a sigh.

In anticipation of her favourite part to the episode (yes, she has watched it that much and we have equally watched it that much to know when her favourite part is coming), she slides out of Elena's arms and toddles closer to the TV, almost as if she wants a closer look at her favourite scene. She turns towards us and holds up her bottle. "Milk, please." Although, it comes out as 'mil, peas.' I stand, taking the bottle from her before making my way to the kitchen to fill up the bottle. When I return Elena stands from her seat on the sofa and I give Layla her bottle. "Am I finally allowed to find out what we're doing tonight?" She asks, a questioning but sly look on her face.